Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece.thumb.jpg.cb85f690376dcb3053c747827de6bf9e.jpg

gaust024

DIY Allsky Camera Help

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

I’m looking to try building my own allsky camera with the ZWO ASI 120MM. I’m most interested in getting clear images of meteors, so I won’t be needing color. 

However, I’ve noticed that they’ve discontinued the ZWO ASI 120mm camera... 

Also, I want to hear what you guys think would be a good fisheye lens for me, as I want to get nice clear images of meteors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a ZWO ASI 120MM camera, but I chose to buy an analogue camera, a Watec 902H2, which is a very sensitive mono camera.  I have UFOcapture software, which automatically detects and records files with meteors in them.

If you are after meteors specifically, what is the advantage of the ASI 120MM?

Edited by tooth_dr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dr Ju Ju, do you know of any good fisheye lenses that would work with the ASI 120MM? Just checked out the first link and I'm probably going to buy that one. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And tooth_dr, mainly it's just cost, as the ASI 120MM is a little cheaper. Do you use a fisheye lens with your Watec902H2?

Does the UFOcapture software work with the ASI120mm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gaust024 said:

And tooth_dr, mainly it's just cost, as the ASI 120MM is a little cheaper. Do you use a fisheye lens with your Watec902H2?

Does the UFOcapture software work with the ASI120mm?

So I’m just in the process of building up the kit.  I will be using an 8mm lens with the Watec as this seems to be around the preferred focal length for meteor imaging.

I have taken the fish eye lens that came with the 120 and put it on to a similar camera (Mintron 12V6HC) and it works well - but it does just capture the edges of the housing. I haven’t used it at night yet.

I hope to be up and running in a few days weather permitting, to get the external holdings mounted

Used Watec 902H cameras can be picked up for £60. But are more limited in use compared to a 120.

 

 

 

873E1368-2E48-417D-AF46-2ADA096CBD23.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also do the ASI120 cameras no longer come with the 2.1mm fish eye lens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably you also need a video capture card with the Watec camera?  It has a composite video output, doesn't it?

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JamesF said:

Presumably you also need a video capture card with the Watec camera?  It has a composite video output, doesn't it?

James

That’s right you need a capture card or dongle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Also do the ASI120 cameras no longer come with the 2.1mm fish eye lens?

I think they still come with the 150 degree fisheye lens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gaust024 said:

I think they still come with the 150 degree fisheye lens.

What sort of fisheye lens are you after? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

What sort of fisheye lens are you after? 

There's an article that I came across by Martin Lewis, he built his own allsky camera with the ZWO ASI 120mm. He tested and reviewed the Rainbow L163VCS f1.4 zoom, Arecont 1.55mm f2, and the Fujinon FE185C086HA 2.7mm f1.8. 

So I'm looking at either of those 3. Here's the link to his setup and tests: http://skyinspector.co.uk/allsky-camera-ii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gaust024 said:

There's an article that I came across by Martin Lewis, he built his own allsky camera with the ZWO ASI 120mm. He tested and reviewed the Rainbow L163VCS f1.4 zoom, Arecont 1.55mm f2, and the Fujinon FE185C086HA 2.7mm f1.8. 

So I'm looking at either of those 3. Here's the link to his setup and tests: http://skyinspector.co.uk/allsky-camera-ii

 

Thanks for the link. I had a good read through it. Arithmetic error in the final table though with rainbow lens. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit slow getting back, but as well as the stock lens that came with the camera, I also have a Fujinon DF1.4HB-L1 Fish Eye "C" Mount Lens  (from the Bay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujinon-1-4mm-f-1-8-Fisheye-lens-CS-Mount-DF1-4HB-L1-Ideal-for-All-Sky-Camera/292593795515?hash=item441ff301bb:g:eV0AAOSwQWxbF5gR:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true) and an Arecont Vision CS-Mount 1.55mm imported from the US (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872528-REG/Arecont_Vision_mpl1_55_1_55Mm_1_2_F2_0_Fixed.html).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering how would the ASI120MM handle noise or fixed pattern noise when doing a 10-20 second exposure. I'll try and read the links on the desktop to see if exposure length is mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I'm wondering how would the ASI120MM handle noise or fixed pattern noise when doing a 10-20 second exposure. I'll try and read the links on the desktop to see if exposure length is mentioned.

5 second exposure with gain at 53 (10x) is written in the paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Bit slow getting back, but as well as the stock lens that came with the camera, I also have a Fujinon DF1.4HB-L1 Fish Eye "C" Mount Lens  (from the Bay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujinon-1-4mm-f-1-8-Fisheye-lens-CS-Mount-DF1-4HB-L1-Ideal-for-All-Sky-Camera/292593795515?hash=item441ff301bb:g:eV0AAOSwQWxbF5gR:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true) and an Arecont Vision CS-Mount 1.55mm imported from the US (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872528-REG/Arecont_Vision_mpl1_55_1_55Mm_1_2_F2_0_Fixed.html).

 

How have your results been with these two lenses? I looked them both up, is it true that the Fujinon sells for around $450? Might try out the Arecont lens first since it's a little cheaper.

Edited by gaust024

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where you got $450 from, the link is for £75, which equates to approx. $100 (US) plus shipping, but I bought mine for approx. £50, but they have all sold out @ that price...

I don't use a 120 for all-sky, as I had some older QHY 5L's not doing anything (mono & colour), so I've used them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the Fujinon one in Martin's piece that's around $450 I think.

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I've been doing research on the ASI120mm and it looks like the 3.0USB version is in stock. However, some people are saying that the software only works with the 2.0 version... If I get the 3.0 version will I not be able to image with it and take timelapses?

Let me know if anyone can help me with this difference because from what I know (I'm a newbie) is that the 3.0USB offers much higher transfer speeds in comparison to the 2.0..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where is that suggested?

I'm struggling to see how it's likely as the SDK for the ZWO cameras would support both identically.  In fact from an application point of view you'd not need to know the difference.  The only way that it might support the USB2 camera and not the USB3 one that immediately springs to mid would be if it used a very early version of the SDK that didn't yet support the USB3 camera.  There may be something I'm not thinking of though.

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James, I just read through this other thread: 

 

Maybe I'm making a mistake, but it seems like some users are having troubles with the 3.0 version. However, one user said that the ZWO software should work just fine with it. Let me know if I'm missing something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My interpretation of the comments there was that the USB2 camera doesn't work very well in a USB3 socket.  Without the updated firmware I believe that may well be true.

James

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamesF said:

My interpretation of the comments there was that the USB2 camera doesn't work very well in a USB3 socket.  Without the updated firmware I believe that may well be true.

James

James, thanks for clearing up my confusion. I'm planning on getting the 3.0 version so there shouldn't be any issues!

And if there is, I'll be coming right back to this forum haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.