SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DIY Allsky Camera Help

gaust024

Hi guys,

I’m looking to try building my own allsky camera with the ZWO ASI 120MM. I’m most interested in getting clear images of meteors, so I won’t be needing color. 

However, I’ve noticed that they’ve discontinued the ZWO ASI 120mm camera... 

Also, I want to hear what you guys think would be a good fisheye lens for me, as I want to get nice clear images of meteors. 

I have a ZWO ASI 120MM camera, but I chose to buy an analogue camera, a Watec 902H2, which is a very sensitive mono camera.  I have UFOcapture software, which automatically detects and records files with meteors in them.

If you are after meteors specifically, what is the advantage of the ASI 120MM?

8 minutes ago, gaust024 said:

And tooth_dr, mainly it's just cost, as the ASI 120MM is a little cheaper. Do you use a fisheye lens with your Watec902H2?

Does the UFOcapture software work with the ASI120mm?

So I’m just in the process of building up the kit.  I will be using an 8mm lens with the Watec as this seems to be around the preferred focal length for meteor imaging.

I have taken the fish eye lens that came with the 120 and put it on to a similar camera (Mintron 12V6HC) and it works well - but it does just capture the edges of the housing. I haven’t used it at night yet.

I hope to be up and running in a few days weather permitting, to get the external holdings mounted

Used Watec 902H cameras can be picked up for £60. But are more limited in use compared to a 120.

873E1368-2E48-417D-AF46-2ADA096CBD23.jpeg

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

What sort of fisheye lens are you after? 

There's an article that I came across by Martin Lewis, he built his own allsky camera with the ZWO ASI 120mm. He tested and reviewed the Rainbow L163VCS f1.4 zoom, Arecont 1.55mm f2, and the Fujinon FE185C086HA 2.7mm f1.8. 

So I'm looking at either of those 3. Here's the link to his setup and tests: http://skyinspector.co.uk/allsky-camera-ii

8 hours ago, gaust024 said:

There's an article that I came across by Martin Lewis, he built his own allsky camera with the ZWO ASI 120mm. He tested and reviewed the Rainbow L163VCS f1.4 zoom, Arecont 1.55mm f2, and the Fujinon FE185C086HA 2.7mm f1.8. 

So I'm looking at either of those 3. Here's the link to his setup and tests: http://skyinspector.co.uk/allsky-camera-ii

Thanks for the link. I had a good read through it. Arithmetic error in the final table though with rainbow lens. 

Bit slow getting back, but as well as the stock lens that came with the camera, I also have a Fujinon DF1.4HB-L1 Fish Eye "C" Mount Lens  (from the Bay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujinon-1-4mm-f-1-8-Fisheye-lens-CS-Mount-DF1-4HB-L1-Ideal-for-All-Sky-Camera/292593795515?hash=item441ff301bb:g:eV0AAOSwQWxbF5gR:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true) and an Arecont Vision CS-Mount 1.55mm imported from the US (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872528-REG/Arecont_Vision_mpl1_55_1_55Mm_1_2_F2_0_Fixed.html).

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I'm wondering how would the ASI120MM handle noise or fixed pattern noise when doing a 10-20 second exposure. I'll try and read the links on the desktop to see if exposure length is mentioned.

5 second exposure with gain at 53 (10x) is written in the paper.

7 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Bit slow getting back, but as well as the stock lens that came with the camera, I also have a Fujinon DF1.4HB-L1 Fish Eye "C" Mount Lens  (from the Bay, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fujinon-1-4mm-f-1-8-Fisheye-lens-CS-Mount-DF1-4HB-L1-Ideal-for-All-Sky-Camera/292593795515?hash=item441ff301bb:g:eV0AAOSwQWxbF5gR:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true) and an Arecont Vision CS-Mount 1.55mm imported from the US (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/872528-REG/Arecont_Vision_mpl1_55_1_55Mm_1_2_F2_0_Fixed.html).

How have your results been with these two lenses? I looked them both up, is it true that the Fujinon sells for around $450? Might try out the Arecont lens first since it's a little cheaper.

I don't know where you got $450 from, the link is for £75, which equates to approx. $100 (US) plus shipping, but I bought mine for approx. £50, but they have all sold out @ that price...

I don't use a 120 for all-sky, as I had some older QHY 5L's not doing anything (mono & colour), so I've used them...

Also, I've been doing research on the ASI120mm and it looks like the 3.0USB version is in stock. However, some people are saying that the software only works with the 2.0 version... If I get the 3.0 version will I not be able to image with it and take timelapses?

Let me know if anyone can help me with this difference because from what I know (I'm a newbie) is that the 3.0USB offers much higher transfer speeds in comparison to the 2.0..

Where is that suggested?

I'm struggling to see how it's likely as the SDK for the ZWO cameras would support both identically.  In fact from an application point of view you'd not need to know the difference.  The only way that it might support the USB2 camera and not the USB3 one that immediately springs to mid would be if it used a very early version of the SDK that didn't yet support the USB3 camera.  There may be something I'm not thinking of though.

James

James, I just read through this other thread: 

Maybe I'm making a mistake, but it seems like some users are having troubles with the 3.0 version. However, one user said that the ZWO software should work just fine with it. Let me know if I'm missing something.

1 minute ago, JamesF said:

My interpretation of the comments there was that the USB2 camera doesn't work very well in a USB3 socket.  Without the updated firmware I believe that may well be true.

James

James, thanks for clearing up my confusion. I'm planning on getting the 3.0 version so there shouldn't be any issues!

And if there is, I'll be coming right back to this forum haha.

Archived