Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

mark81

1647 in Taurus

I have looked at 1647 a few times this season, but it's very dim untill it climbs higher into darker skies.  Last night was one of the clearest darkest nights I've seen this autumn and with the es68/24 it was still a little too dim, but with the BST 15mm it sat very nicely.  I used my new red torch, black card and white pen..

IMG_20181204_163936.jpg

• Like 7

It's a great sketch, Mark. Thanks for drawing our attention to this lovely open cluster. It's been years since I last looked for it. It's time that I pay it another visit.

Stellarium calls it the Pirate Moon cluster. Isn't that imaginative?

• Like 1

Nice captured! My log says it reminded me of an impeller or a rose, your sketch shows that nicely. It really IS a dim object. Well done!

• Like 1

Beautiful sketch! There's something special about positive white on black sketches. 

I've been spending some time with this cluster too - a wonderful contrast to the nearby Hyades.