Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

R26 oldtimer

2 hours ago, stash_old said:

Reason  - I bought one from China(like yours) but it neither works (doesn't give DoitXXXXX Wifi AP address) and I cannot connect to the Web Server even if I connect to the AP name (ESP_XXXXX) -

It looks the same as mine and the description matches mine, but from what you say the board doesn't perform as your seller states in his description.

Also at this point I have to say that this board may have many interesting applications, but my original intention was to use it as a straight substitute in place of the skywatcher wifi mount adapter with more or less the same limitations.

3 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

It looks the same as mine and the description matches mine, but from what you say the board doesn't perform as your seller states in his description.

Exactly - awaiting reply from seller but will be asking all of £5 back LOL

4 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Also at this point I have to say that this board may have many interesting applications, but my original intention was to use it as a straight substitute in place of the skywatcher wifi mount adapter with more or less the same limitations.

As i think I stated early on already done that various ways - its just acting as a transparent serial(TTL) Wifi gateway - but if the device was good it should have worked my Focuser as well - I use Indilib so serial/Networking via UDP or TCP are all there by default {-)   

Anyway something for people to be wary of - as ever with stuff from China.

Thanks for the replies and good luck with your project,

Clear skies !

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2019 at 17:36, stash_old said:

Is the software for this open source? Can someone find it? I didn't. Or is there another ESP32 compatible Wifi to serial bridge software which supports UDP?

It could be flashed onto an ESP32 and be simply used with a level shifter.

9 hours ago, Tonyjl said:

Is the software for this open source? Can someone find it? I didn't. Or is there another ESP32 compatible Wifi to serial bridge software which supports UDP?

It could be flashed onto an ESP32 and be simply used with a level shifter.

Before coming across the dt-06 board, I had found this, by advice of @john78.

https://github.com/AlphaLima/ESP32-Serial-Bridge/wiki

In fact, I had even orderer an esp32 board, but the dt-06 was much simpler, no programming and even cheaper, so I went with the later.

On 27/02/2019 at 19:44, R26 oldtimer said:

Before coming across the dt-06 board, I had found this, by advice of @john78.

https://github.com/AlphaLima/ESP32-Serial-Bridge/wiki

In fact, I had even orderer an esp32 board, but the dt-06 was much simpler, no programming and even cheaper, so I went with the later.

Did you already get it working? I managed to find a code which supports UDP for ESP32 but the Android app just will not connect?

https://github.com/roboremo/ESP8266-WiFi-UART-Bridge/blob/master/v1.1/sketch_esp_WiFi_UART_Bridge.ino

Edited by Tonyjl

On 02/03/2019 at 06:34, R26 oldtimer said:

No, as I said I never bothered with the esp, maybe because my programming skills go as far as setting the alarm clock...?

I meant the DT-06.. Did it work out of the box after configuration? The ebay page says it's even 5V compatible.

I also tested HC-12, a 433Mhz serial modem, cost about 5USD and the USB version a few dollars more. Works great and is 5V. If someone needs a longer range, this works up to a mile.

Has someone gotten the Synscan Android or Windows app to work with the shutter release feature? It does not seem to work with HEQ5. What about the multi-purpose port on the Synscan handheld?

My goal is remote shutter for a Sony A7..

Edited by Tonyjl

On 03/03/2019 at 08:12, Tonyjl said:

I meant the DT-06.. Did it work out of the box after configuration? The ebay page says it's even 5V compatible. 

It worked pretty much out of the box. You only have to adjust the settings through the web server, as described in the first post

• 3 months later...

This is awesome, thanks R26_oldtimer !

Really appreciate all your work on this. I hope to use it on my new Skywatcher Virtuoso mount when it arrives. 

I am struggling to find out if my mount is 3.3v  TTL or 5v. I've ordered the DT-06 so I hope it will work 🤞the mount looks to use an RJ12 cable instead of the RJ45 you have used.

There seem to be as many skywatcher 3.3v TTL logic mounts as 5v. The fact that there is only one sw wifi unit to suit them all, without voltage adjustment, makes me think that they use a 3.3v board which is 5v tolerant, just as the DT-06 board.

I am using my diy device for the last six months with no more problems than the original sw has, and haven't looked back since.... except for a Rpi for total control of imaging and platesolving which might be my next project.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I tried to build this module with the 5v converter, and it seems to start properly. I plugged it on my Atlas EQG (I had to make a DB9 to Rj45 cable), but in the Synscan app, it says Cannot connect. The blue light blinks a lot when the app tries to connect, so I guess the connections are OK..?

Any idea ? 

(sorry for my English, from France) 

Edit : To clarify, I can access the module from my smartphone (or a PC), and change the settings. I used the original DB9 wire from the EQ6, and used an adaptator to connect it to the WiFi module (all wires are correctly connected, power working fine). I tried with another smartphone and a PC with Synscan app for windows, same result.

Edited by Fixoo

17 hours ago, R26 oldtimer said:

I think that the DB9 connection is neither 3.3 or 5 v TTL, instead it is the -18/+18 v.

You should use it (and plug it) instead of the hand controller.

Thank you for your answer, but I'm not sure to understand.

I don't have a 18V supply, the mount works with 12V, and the module works @ 4,5 to 6V.

Here is what I did (the DB9 cable is the original one, I added a RJ45 female to connect to the DT-06) :

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Fixoo

On 03/03/2019 at 08:17, Tonyjl said:

Has someone gotten the Synscan Android or Windows app to work with the shutter release feature? It does not seem to work with HEQ5

It works great with my azeq5, only thing is that it utilizes only one of the two snap ports that azeq5 has.

I haven't used my hancontroller since I made it. Next thing to do is control it with APT via ascom synscan mobile driver.

27 minutes ago, R26 oldtimer said:

Your DB9 port is designed to conect to a pc using standard RS232C serial which is not the same as 3.3 or 5v TTL serial (what the handset or SW WiFi adapter uses). The RS232 serial uses voltage levels between -25 to +25v.

So you should connect the SW WiFi adapter (or my alternative in this case) to the hand controller jack instead of the hand controller.

Just treat it like the SW WiFi adapter.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, but the DB9 is were I plug my handset. I don't have any other connector.

The picture is from an Orion Sirius EQG, mine is the Atlas EQG (DB9 for handset, and RJ for auto guider) :

spacer.png

Edited by Fixoo

I see now... Didn't know that the handset connects with DB9 for Eq6. So from FLO I see that you have to use the supplied cable to connect to the sw WiFi adapter, which you did.

Screenshot_20191008-171806.thumb.png.049f5941de53dcbe19bc894541bc1c53.png

So it appears that some cable connection that should be straight, is crossed or the opposite. ( Some photos of these cables on the net appear to have crossed connections at the RJ45 plugs). Since the module powers up and blinks upon connection means that power supply is ok, so maybe exchange Rx with Tx cable?

42 minutes ago, Fixoo said:

Thank you, but the DB9 is were I plug my handset. I don't have any other connector.

The picture is from an Orion Sirius EQG, mine is the Atlas EQG (DB9 for handset, and RJ for auto guider) :

spacer.png

What R26 means is that your mount is NOT compatible with the £5 device as he thinks it uses RS232c voltage levels which are 12-25v and is something completely different to the TTL levels the £5 adapter uses (3.3v or 5v). However it would seem the DB9 on the mount is the same as EQ6 so that may be wrong. If so ,and you need to check , then the £5 adapter should work if connected ,has the correct voltage (3.3 or 5v) and you have wired it correctly - maybe this site will help you http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/prerequisites.html

• Like 1