Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cartes du Ciel

:) Not knowing a lot about computers and softwear, I have been using Stellarium, but am beginning to find it a bit basic and with no chart printing option.

Came across Cartes du Ciel it seems to have more information on it than Stellarium and I think a printing option. But it seems complicated to me, so is there anyone here who uses it and can give information on it. Like do I down load the ( Complete Package 2.76 ).

phillc :wave:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use CdC in preference to my expensive TheSkyV6!!! Not too complicated and a couple of nights will soon get you familiar with it.

It's a great package! and you can add various catalogues and databases as you go along. Even use it to control your GOTO telescope.

Download and install the whole package, if you haven't already.

There's many members who use it, so there always going to be someone to help.

I concur with the others.....Brilliant program and great fun to just play with while you learn how to use it.

I use it like Steppenwolf, except not for imaging but just to see what the fov for my finder would be when star hopping. :)

Also use it to plan sessions and get info on objects. :thumbright:

Best of all though is that it's free!!!! :hello1:

Stef

Both Stellarium and C Du Ciel are great but in different ways. I actually find Stellarium better when observing as it has fainter stars on it and you can move around easier....but C Du ciel is better for printing off maps and rotating the view to agree with what you can see..downlead both and use both is my view.

By adding the USNO database I can get down to 18mag in CdC.

Could never figure out what Stellarium want to be when it grew up? Just a sky display program??

The other one which I thought had great promise but carp interface was CnebulaX V1.7.4. Just love the star colours!!!

Hi phillc.

Just another string for your bow as it were. If your practising star hopping using binos, Phil Harrington the author

after the publication of, Touring the Universe Through Binoculars. Published, as a free download, a set of star maps in colour/black and white [your choice] for printing, the maps can be altered to suit your own preferences.

Information can be had at www.philharrington.net

John.

The "trick" is to get the files in the right format ( about 10Gb). I have them on a separate HD which is listed in the CdC "look-up" directory. BTW the V3 CdC is MUCH easier to use.

I can supply DVD copies of the A2 files etc, cost of disk & postage. PM me.

:D I have just tried to down load version 3, and it give me a list of 6 files to down load from,they all started.

Skychart 3.0.1.4-1 i386 but all had diffrent endings.deb,rpm,exe,Macosx.dmq,linux 386.tarqz and Source.tar.qz

Seeing i have Windows operating on my computer which one of the six do I need to down load.

phillc

Can't find the install files on my computer. But you'll definately need the .exe file and probably the source.tar.qz.

I thought the CdC site had an explanation of which files were what.

Worse case download them all! won't do any damage!!

Archived