Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Star101

Leo Triplet

Recommended Posts

Apart from the odd 20 minutes of low cloud, it was a very clear night last night.

I could not resist the coming of the galaxy season. Here is my first attempt this season quick process.

ZWO ASI183mm Pro camera.

20 x 120s Lum

12 x 120s RGB

Processed in Pixinsight. Sequence Generator Pro.

 

Thanks for looking

Dave.

Leo Triplet.jpg

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spring is on the way!  Some nice detail in those galaxies.  It's a little bit blue though and you've got quite a gradient going on.  If you could sort those this  triplet would be stunning

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Spring is on the way!  Some nice detail in those galaxies.  It's a little bit blue though and you've got quite a gradient going on.  If you could sort those this  triplet would be stunning

Thanks Martin, I will reprocess later this week with more care and attention to see what I can do. I just get over excited sometimes :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reprocessed using new darks at the same temperature and gain as the lights. -30C and 111 Gain. Made the image much easier to work with.

Used AutomaticBackgroudExtractor in Pixinsight on all stretched subframes before ChannelCombination.

I think I could have pushed the colour a little harder but its down to taste.

Leo Triplet reprocessed.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Xiga
      I wasn't going to share this, but what the heck. The winter of discontent continues, so i guess even this little data has to constitute an image these days. 
      After what seemed like an age of night after night of clouds, we had a rare few hrs of clear skies one night last week. So i managed to grab a whopping 9 x 7 mins of the Horsehead Nebula before it disappeared behind the neighbor's house. I then needed something else to aim for, so i brought up the Leo Triplet Sequence in SGP and managed to nab about 2.75 hrs in total, before the clouds returned. It really, really needs double, if not triple this amount, so i wasn't really intending on processing this tbh. I was really just messing about in APP and PS testing several things out, so there was no proper workflow being adhered to. I took an Auto DDP stretch out of APP and quickly processed it in PS, without much care. I noticed it was lacking in colour, so i thought this would actually be a good candidate to try out some ArcSinh Colour-Preserving stretches, so i took another linear stack and used Mark Shelley's excellent PS method for doing the colour-preserving stretches. Lo and behold, i ended up with a stack that was very rich in colour, so much so in fact that the sky background had also mottled up pretty bad. So i used a mask to only apply the rich colours to the stars and galaxies of the original image, and it made a HUGE difference. It was only at this stage that i suddenly thought i might as well actually go ahead and make an image out of it.
      I really want to stretch it more, but it just can't take it. There's just not enough data, end of story. In fact i may have already stretched it too far as it is. The background is a tad lower than i would have liked as well, but it was needed to help suppress the noise. I've ran quite a bit of NR too, more than i'm usually comfortable with, and it's still noisy. I know what the answer to that is of course, more data! 😆 (not likely). I do quite like the colours though 😃
      Feedback welcome.
      24 x 420s (2.75 hrs)
      80ED (x0.85), D5300, HEQ5-Pro, IDAS-D1. 
      Resized to 66% to help hide some of the warts! 

    • By Davide Simonetti
      The Leo Triplet - a target that I needed to image again as previous efforts haven't really done it justice. This is the most successful attempt so far, largely thanks to the ZWO ASI1600MC Pro camera and by giving it plenty of exposure with not too much gain making for a smoother background and bringing out dust lanes and other details in the galaxies.  
      014 x 090 second exposures at 161 Gain cooled to -20°C
      081 x 090 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
      010 x 120 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
      016 x 180 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
      Total integration time = three hours, 30 minutes and 30 seconds
      149 x dark frames
      116 x flat frames
      200 x bias/offset frames
      Captured with APT
      Guided with PHD2
      Processed in Nebulosity, Fitsworks, and Photoshop 
      Equipment
      Telescope:     Sky-Watcher Explorer-150PDS
      Mount:         Skywatcher EQ5
      Guide Scope:     Orion 50mm Mini
      Guiding Camera:     ZWO ASI120MC
      Imaging Cameera: ZWO ASI1600MC Pro
      Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector
      Light pollution filter

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.