Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Identical Crescents - A Great Start To The Day!

cloudsweeper

Having been frustrated by poor skies on recent evenings, I was pleased to glance out at 6.05am this morning and see a clear sky.  Even better, looking low to SE, there was a lovely slim waning crescent Moon and Venus close by.  A quick view from the front of the house through the 10 x 50s showed that Venus's crescent had the same orientation, and the rest of the Moon's disc was a very clear pale grey - a most pleasing sight overall.

By 6.25, the pair could seen from the garden with the Bresser Dob, although they were low and a few bamboo leaves were getting in the way.  Everything was of course clearer and more stable than with the binos.  Flitting between Venus and the Moon was a real delight - they were almost identical in shape, both with horns pointing downwards.  The Moon was much paler, and showed a little detail beyond the terminator, whereas Venus was a smaller and more brilliant version, with about a third of its disc illuminated.

6.40 - time for breakfast, after an unexpected and wonderful start to the day!

Doug.

Great stuff, Doug. You performed a miracle this morning. Instead of stubbornly lying in bed, arms crossed, repeating “don’t wanna go to work”, I read your report and jumped right up out bed for a look myself. Great views with the 10x50s. As you say, a great start to the day :) 

6 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Great stuff, Doug. You performed a miracle this morning. Instead of stubbornly lying in bed, arms crossed, repeating “don’t wanna go to work”, I read your report and jumped right up out bed for a look myself. Great views with the 10x50s. As you say, a great start to the day :) 

Glad I got you to share the spectacle with the rest of us, Neil!

D.

Archived