Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

MeyGray3833

What is this artifact in my images?

Ok, so the way you described it is how I set it up originally. I thought that I placed it wrong and added a 10mm spacer for giggles to see what would happen. Hard to get good star shape now.

So, really this flattener is not suitable for a dedicated astro set up? If you want to dabble with a DSLR, all good.

The other flattener that I have has a backfocus of 88mm plus 1 mm for filters.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2646_TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-Full-Frame-APO-Corrector---Flattener-for-astrophotography.html

This unit appears to be made with cameras other than DSLR's in mind.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, MeyGray3833 said:

So, really this flattener is not suitable for a dedicated astro set up? If you want to dabble with a DSLR, all good.

It’s OK for a dedicated setup as long as you don’t need more than 55mm BF from the T thread to the sensor and that means usually you can’t squeeze an OAG into the gap, separate filter wheel and camera only might just fit. I use a couple of QSI cameras with built in OAG and FW and can usually manage with just 55mm BF but separate FW, OAG and most cameras just won’t fit. 

It’s a bit odd that WO, and several other manufacturers, stick to this 55mm flattener BF for DSLR’s, you’d have thought they’d have caught on by now that probably half the astrophotographers on the planet were using separates in the image chain and design the standard BF to something like 75mm and provide a 20mm spacer for use with a DSLR, doesn’t really make much sense to me but perhaps it’s a lot to do with how much focuser travel is available on many telescopes so maybe they just woudn’t be able to reach focus with a BF larger than 55mm? Plus there’s the issue of increased vignetting as you push the flattener further from the sensor.

The TS Proline flattener that you linked to is a much better bet, plenty of BF and a wide aperture, should suit most setups. I have their 2” version for use with a TMB 80 and it works very well, currently though I am using a 100mm quadruplet and am free from the arduous task of setting up flattener spacings!

William.

Edited by Oddsocks