SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stellarium comet update

Cosmic Geoff

I tried to update the comet data in Stellarium 0.15, but can't make it work.

Yes I know there are instructions online and I've even done it before. I can get as far as 'uploading orbital elements in MPC format' but I just get a blank box instead of a list.

What's going wrong?

I'm also using an older version and get that blank box also. So the way I add a comet (or asteroid) is to go to the MPC ephemeris service:

https://minorplanetcenter.net//iau/MPEph/MPEph.html

I then put the object name, say 64P, in the box provided and check the "MPC 1-line" option farther down.

A text file is generated which can then be uploaded to Stellarium in that same 'upload orbital elements' window.

Hope that helps.

I am still floundering with this.  I have not been able to add comets that were not in the database.  So far as I can make out, the MPC centre breaks old versions of Stellarium by changing its URLs.  But I am unable to discover whether there is a new URL I can enter that works, and if so, what it is.

As for adding a data file, I don't know what a valid set of data looks like.

Or do I have to upgrade to the latest Stellarium, which might need a new laptop with more powerful hardware.

Frustrated.? 

I  got version 0.18 of Stellarium working on one of the laptops, and a desktop, and verified that the new comet data will load.  Will have to reload the telescope & ocular settings, though.

I already know that recent versions of Stellarium will NOT work on the older laptop.

Archived