Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Petergoodhew

NGC 1514 - The Crystal Ball Nebula

NGC 1514 is a planetary nebula in the constellation Taurus that was discovered by William Herschel on November 13, 1790, describing it "A most singular phaenomenon" and forcing him to rethink his ideas on the construction of the heavens. Up until this point Herschel was convinced that all nebulae consisted of masses of stars too remote to resolve, but now here was a single star "surrounded with a faintly luminous atmosphere." He went on to conclude "Our judgement I may venture to say, will be, that the nebulosity about the star is not of a starry nature".

It has since been conjectured that the nebula in fact envelops a tightly orbiting double star with a period of up to 10 days. Gas is presumably expanding away from the larger star of the pair.

15 hours 30 minutes total capture

R 20x300

G 20x300s

B 20x300s

Ha 21x1800s

Image captured remotely at Alcalali, Spain

APM TMB 152 F8 LZOS, 10 Micron GM2000HPS, QSI6120ws8

small crop.jpg

Edited by Petergoodhew
  • Like 19

Ooh not familiar with this, looks a challenging little thing.  Great job.  Out of interest, where is the Ha?

19 hours ago, MartinB said:

Out of interest, where is the Ha?

Thanks Martin.  I used the Ha to pull out more structure detail of the nebula in the synthetic luminance, but only used the RGB for colour.

Great image, I like the detail in the nebula and the nice star colours. 

Cheers, Ian

5 hours ago, Petergoodhew said:

Thanks Martin.  I used the Ha to pull out more structure detail of the nebula in the synthetic luminance, but only used the RGB for colour.

Aha!  Thanks Peter

I found this object the other night, never having heard of it before. It is lovely.

Your image is much better than I managed - sky wasn't too transparent and ice forming on everything. Good one!

Mark

28 minutes ago, markarian said:

I found this object the other night, never having heard of it before. It is lovely.

Your image is much better than I managed - sky wasn't too transparent and ice forming on everything. Good one!

Mark

Thanks Mark.  It's a pretty target, but very small - and I found it quite challenging.  It needs a fair bit of data to be able to pull out the structure of the nebula.