Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

souls33k3r

Observing Comet 46P

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Been waiting for clouds to clear but still looks a way off on the satellite images.

Dave

Hope it clears for you Dave (and stays clear for you John).  It is remarkably still and calm here, considering the weather over the last few days!

Helen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had a gap in the clouds for long enough to get a PA with the polarscope - I'll be imaging at 135mm so not critical!

A 5-second exposure at a random bit of cloud showed one star, and stars starting to appear overhead in the gaps now.

A 'once in a lifetime' alignment is keeping me awake!

• Like 1

The transparency has improved here plus folks have gone to bed and turned their lights off. I reckon the comet is naked eye visible here now. Not striking at all and you need to know just where to look but I'm pretty certain that I'm picking it up with just my eyes when standing in the darkest spot I can find in the garden.

• Like 2

Nearly clouded out now ?   Ah well, was fun while it lasted! ?

Helen

Nearly 2.00 am and still cloudy so giving up now :icon_sad:

Dave :clouds1:

• Sad 1

The Sky Gods have been quite generous here in Wiltshire. I have managed to capture an hour’s worth of data with my DSLR & 200mm lens on the Star Adventurer. The seeing seems pretty poor, but I can see, so that is a huge bonus! I’ve just had a look through the 10x50 binos and 46P seems fainter, even more diffuse and without a bright nucleus. Don’t know if that is conditions here or change in the comet? Hopefully there will be an image to follow tomorrow.

Hasn’t 46P provided us all with some fun, despite not being the naked eye spectacle once predicted? An interesting visitor nevertheless!

• Like 3

Thats great Helen - I've shared your clip with my Bristol AS buddies - hope thats OK !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Thats great Helen - I've shared your clip with my Bristol AS buddies - hope thats OK !

No problem John ? 

40 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Lovely time lapse , Helen. What period is that over?

Thanks Gav.  I've just looked at the subs - it is over the period of an hour (1:19-2:20)  They were 10s subs, binned, atik460 mono on woflt98.  Tracked on stars. 

I took some unbinned colour ones earlier in the night (much shorter run though!)  I need to process those before I can post though (mono much easier in that respect!!)

Helen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still away but was able to view the Comet at 1.30am this morning. It was crystal clear and the Comet was easily seen with the naked eye - in fact much better than yesterday.