Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_inspirational_skies_winners.thumb.jpg.94f78e21c195e385c5621d89ea0b51b9.jpg

souls33k3r

Observing Comet 46P

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Paul, is this position accurate? Haven't been able to spot it from my site.

Screenshot_20181209-214954_SkySafari 6 Pro.jpg

Yes, that's the correct positon Stu, I used SkySafari to check its position myself.   The red star above and right of it is Menkar.

Found it with 11/70 bin's quite big and diffuse, looks about as big as M42.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

Just about managed it with the 10x30 Canon IS binos - but the transparency is not good here tonight, lots of cloud at all levels

But I've seen and imaged it, so not too disappointed now that is has completely clouded over again 😕

Helen

After a few fruitless attempts over the last week or so, I found 46P tonight for the first time, using 10x50s to sweep the area down a bit and left a bit from Menkar.  A vague splodge with soft edges sprang into view.  Phew - that's it!  Delighted...  Upped the glass ante with 15x70s, tripod mounted with a trigger grip, and had a long, lingering look, thoroughly enjoying the sight.  Having found the comet, I'd planned to try some imaging, but clouds decided it was bedtime...