SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

See Mars get very close to Neptune at dusk on 7 December

paulastro

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. The forecast from the Met Office is good for Friday 7 Dec here :) 

If I can get my act together, I may even try giving it a shot and imaging it ?

Not sure the weather will be so good here.  I hope you're going to post it up here if you manage to get an image.

Thanks for the tip off.

Downside is my rough and ready surface brightness calculation suggests mars will be 100 time brighter per pixel, that's about 7 stops/bits.

Should be possible to get an over-exposed Mars and an underexposed Neptune both showing on 12-bit frames.

They will both fit on the ASI120MC with my 150Pl and x3 barlow so would be a good way to finish a year's planetary imaging.

I'm really keen to see this event, will be my best ever chance to definitely see Neptune. I think I've seen it a couple of times in the past, but when it was isolated from any obvious targets I was never sure I was looking at it. Haven't had the scope out for 3 weeks now because of relentless cloudy nights here, so  desperately hoping for a break, forecast is promising! ?

When you find Neptune, with a 130mm or larger aperture scope and a dark sky, it's largest moon Triton is visible as a tiny point a handful of arc seconds from Neptune. Cartes du Ciel shows it's position quite accurately :smiley:

I probably haven't got dark enough skies here to see Triton but with Neptune being at high elevation I may be in with a chance.

While we're at it, is there any point in trying to see Mars' moons Phobos and Deimos? I didn't see them back when Mars was at closest approach, has anyone seen them through a large scope?

This reminded me that they had a similar close encounter in January last year.

Here's my picture of it. Neptune is the bluish object lower right, and if you look at the bigger version you can just make out Triton at 3 O'Clock.

31941477641_3a029afb2a_k.jpg

2 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

I'm really keen to see this event, will be my best ever chance to definitely see Neptune. I think I've seen it a couple of times in the past, but when it was isolated from any obvious targets I was never sure I was looking at it. Haven't had the scope out for 3 weeks now because of relentless cloudy nights here, so  desperately hoping for a break, forecast is promising! ?

Best of luck Geoff, the weather forecast up here is still not too good up, but I'm for ever optimistic.  It'll only take a few seconds to locate so I only need the briefest of breaks.  :smile:

(I've posted this in the Observing section as well, but here is probably more relevant).

Success, at last!

This is precisely why I decided to opt for the Go-To Dob, after aligning on Sirius and Mars I sent it off to find Neptune and there it was, slap bang in the middle of the viewfinder. 

Hardly a blue ball, just a blue-ish speck really, even with the 6.5mm Morpheus, but distinctly larger than a star. 

As has been said,  an unspectacular sight, but a definite thrill to finally track down such a remote object.

Conditions tonight we're as good as I've had here for months, really calm and clear and shirtsleeve warm, a really pleasurable session which included many other "firsts" for me including the Sculptor Galaxy (very impressive) and the Skull Nebula.

Good stuff

Best of luck to you chaps.  I have my SW 72ED set up in my garage to get a view.  If the sky should clear for a few minutes I'll whisk it outside if I can keep the rain and wind at bay,  I'll only need 2 or 3 minutes to get some kind of view.  That's the theory at least.  At least the gusty wind will give me a chance as it's moving the cloud very quickly - only an occasional small clear patch at the moment.  Forever optimistic, and if I end up not seeing it, I'll have still enjoyed the attempt :smile:.

Archived