SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Windows 10...

paul mc c

Not sure where to post this,but here goes.i am thinking of upgrading my laptop which is Win 7 and all my gear works well on it,if i upgrade to Win 10 will i have any problems.

This is whati will be using.

EQ mod.

Canon 1100d.

ZWO 224mc.

QHY 5,for guiding.

APT.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Not sure where to post this,but here goes.i am thinking of upgrading my laptop which is Win 7 and all my gear works well on it,if i upgrade to Win 10 will i have any problems.

This is whati will be using.

EQ mod.

Canon 1100d.

ZWO 224mc.

QHY 5,for guiding.

APT.

Thanks.

Oh crikey this is going to end in a W10 bashing!

W10 is fine, and all that stuff will work fine on W10............HOWEVER...........even as a very happy user of W10 on several PC's, if your W7 is working well, and you have no specific reason to upgrade, then I wouldn't just yet as W7 is still being supported for a couple of years yet.

21 minutes ago, RayD said:

W10 is fine, and all that stuff will work fine on W10............HOWEVER...........even as a very happy user of W10 on several PC's, if your W7 is working well, and you have no specific reason to upgrade, then I wouldn't just yet as W7 is still being supported for a couple of years yet.

+1 for what Ray said. If it ain't broke' - why fix it ?

23 minutes ago, RayD said:

Oh crikey this is going to end in a W10 bashing!

Have'nt had any problem running EQMOD, Artemis, CdC or infact any other astro software under WIN 10.

My main computers are Macs, but my W10 laptop performs well for ASCOM, EQMOD, APT, Sharpcap, Astrotortila, etc, and a 4 port usb to Ethernet thingy. The only infuriating feature of standard W10 is the the updates. Mr Microsoft thinks he has the right to update my computer when he likes, while I think I have the right to decide when it should happen. So whenever I'm using the laptop with the scope I disconnect Wifi, and all is peace and quiet.

Eric.

25 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

Unfortunately my old laptop is starting to give up the ghost,and i am getting a chance of a great spec Win 10 laptop,and that is the only reason i may be changing.

In that case, Paul, no problems at all.  W10 will work fine with all your kit, but you may want to look at doing a forum search for restricting Windows updates so they don't take place right in the middle of an imaging or observing session.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Unfortunately, newer hardware, will need the updated OS, to cope with specific firmware drivers etc.   

Unless you'd like to stray to the dark side of Linux\Indi\Kstars etc. :evil4:

In stupid mans terms.......?....is that good to go Win 10.

Support for Windows 7 stops January 2020. That's in 14 months. After that you get no more security updates.

If your machine is connected to the internet, it's time to start thinking about migrating to Windows 10.

In my experience Windows 10 has been the least painful version of windows to upgrade to. And, touch wood, no major problems with any of my machines as far as compatibility goes.

It's been out for 3.5 years so most software companies have had chance to make any necessary fixes - I use APT, EQMod & Canon without any issues.

12 hours ago, Ruud said:

Support for Windows 7 stops January 2020. That's in 14 months. After that you get no more security updates.

If your machine is connected to the internet, it's time to start thinking about migrating to Windows 10.

I have a Internet connected MS Vista based PC which hasn't been supported by MS for years - no problems at all. I also use W10,Linux. So other than your hardware is "giving up the ghost" i would see no reason why to "upgrade". P.S I dont get any MS updates on that PC ?

19 hours ago, paul mc c said:

A thought but there are many second hand bargains around (normally ex corp) where you can pick up I5/7,SSD and 8-16mb memory with Win 10 (mostly Pro so you can control updaes to a degree!) already installed and include a guarantee ! - then you can spend it on a new camera LOL

On the whole there are no problems with Windows 10 as far as Astro work is concerned - MS dont write Astro device drivers or Software which is where most of the problems comes from except for MS updates .

Despite circumspection, Win10 (new Laptop) is looking good thus far... ?
(Once one gets used to things being in a slightly different place to Win7)

Just tested the generic(?) driver for ZWO's ASI Cameras -- That works.
Albeit I am using a (USB2) ASI120MM into a USB3 socket on the Laptop!

FWIW, still using the excellent (Torsten Edelmann) FireCapture software.
I also had success with my Point Grey "Chameleon Cam" using full USB3.
Still using TeamViewer (via WiFi/Ethernet) from obsy to Win7 desktop. ?

-------------------------------

Aside: Had a minor glitch when the CPU became fixed at 100% activity
and maximum clock (fan!) rate. I assume it didn't help w/battery drain!
But normal service resumed when I reset the "Custom Power PLAN" to
the manufacturer (HP in this case) default setting. I sense one of my... 
Benchmark Tests "forgot" to reset something after completion?!?!?!? ?  

P.S. I only remark on the above, because it took me a while to solve it! 
A lot of people seem to contact the Manufacturer or Microsoft about
CPUs being stuck at 100%... but I didn't have to "upgrade the Bios" or
"reinstall Windows" as sometimes suggested. Or I just got lucky... ?

Make sure to get Windows 10 pro rather than "home"- this allows you to set times when the system can update i.e. no reboots during your precious imaging time!
You can also defer updates for several weeks to help avoid buggy updates.

5 hours ago, stash_old said:

I have a Internet connected MS Vista based PC which hasn't been supported by MS for years - no problems at all. I also use W10,Linux. So other than your hardware is "giving up the ghost" i would see no reason why to "upgrade". P.S I dont get any MS updates on that PC ?

Here is a list of published vulnerabilities of Vista. Just check which have come to light after you stopped getting updates. By now, your Vista PC must be leaky as a basket.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-9591/cvssscoremin-4/cvssscoremax-4.99/Microsoft-Windows-Vista.html

It's a big problem when a computer is wide open to hackers and connected to the internet.

3 hours ago, Ruud said:

Here is a list of published vulnerabilities of Vista. Just check which have come to light after you stopped getting updates. By now, your Vista PC must be leaky as a basket.

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-26/product_id-9591/cvssscoremin-4/cvssscoremax-4.99/Microsoft-Windows-Vista.html

It's a big problem when a computer is wide open to hackers and connected to the internet.

In your opinion -  I think it fine -  it leaks nothing thanks  ?  

Might be worth noting that a connected and compromised PC isn't just a vulnerability in what sensitive data can be gained from it.
You may not care if someone can access your astro photos or whatever, but a compromised system can also be used to DO things too, host data, distribute malware, literally spy on you, there is a long list of illegal stuff you wouldn't want a connected PC doing from your IP address - and you likely wouldn't be aware of it either.

It takes about 10-20 minutes for a windows XP system on a fresh install, with no updates, to be compromised. I don't know the times for later editions. That's not even long enough to download a service pack. Having an up to date system is the best defense, firewalls are only any good if you know how to use them, and there is plenty of stuff that can still get through or make itself look like harmless traffic.

If the only thing stopping you from updating to the latest protection is the inconvenience it may end up being a false economy.

/rant ?

Archived