SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to watch on TV when it's cloudy

Lurcher

Hi everyone,

Has everyone discovered the old episodes of Sky At Night on YouTube? There's a guy called Nikol Mizer who's uploaded quite a few, and since finally getting a decent internet connection I can now watch them on the tele at night, (once the family have gone to bed!). I love the old one's where they seemed to do more stargazing events and meetings. I know it was all very weather dependent but I think it's a shame they don't seem to do that so much now. Although on the plus side I do love Maggie Alderin-Pocock. She's so refreshing!

Did anyone get to see the programme about the guy that parachuted down to Earth? That was good too.

Anyway, I thought I'd just ask. (I sometimes visit a motorcycling forum that has a "what to watch on the box" section so people can post programmes which they have noticed coming up in the future and which might be good to watch). Sorry if it's also being or been done on here and I just haven't found it.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm intrigued what astro-related gems will emerge.

YouTube is a great source of old films and programmes, for example you can watch, "Frau im Mond" from 1929 and see where the idea for multi-stage rockets, upright rocket transfer to the launch site and the countdown sequence came from, pure theatre.

YouTube also has the acclaimed BBC radio series from the 1950's, "Operation Luna" a space drama with David Jacobs, Alfie Bass, David Kossoff. There were more series including, "The Red Planet" and, "The World In Peril". Very nostalgic and quality entertainment. Never have to watch the 'soaps' ever again. ? 

Cheers,
Steve

4 hours ago, wigggyy said:

I always look forward to Pete Lawrence

I totally agree. Plus of course his part of the show is actually about the act of getting out there with a scope and showing what's in the night sky that Month. That bit should be longer!

3 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

"Frau im Mond" from 1929

Wow that sounds intriguing. I shall definitely be giving that one a go. Thanks for the other mentions too. I've not heard of any of them so I will check them out. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Ruud said:

I cant watch it without it making me feel that I miss Patrick Moore.

No he was certainly one of a kind wasn't he? It wasn't until I watched the older episodes on YouTube that I found out about the "Moore Winter Marathon" the "Moore Moon Marathon" and I think there's also simply a "Moore Marathon".

It's something that his legacy still lives on with the Sky At Night still being on though, and all the observations he made of the moon.

Do you think we could all petition the BBC to bring back "Stargazing Live"?? I used to look forward to that. 

13 minutes ago, Lurcher said:

Do you think we could all petition the BBC to bring back "Stargazing Live"?? I used to look forward to that.

Is it definitely off the air now for always? I know Prof. Cox took the format to Australia this year but haven't been able to watch any of the programmes as they are not accessible from the UK which is a great pity. Haven't recently checked if some kind soul might have placed them on YouTube.

With Stargazing Live I always wanted to see more of the practical side of astronomy which I know is affected by the weather. They could do so much more to promote awareness of light pollution but the will doesn't seem to be there. I did write to Dara about this topic this autumn after seeing him live in Nottingham but wasn't surprised not to get a reply.

Cheers,
Steve

22 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Is it definitely off the air now for always?

I got the impression as they moved it to Australia last year, and was it the year before, or the one before that it was shot on location in Australia but aired in the Uk that they were just losing interest in it. Although it did say in one report that the BBC were in discussions with the production team about future programmes, so I don't know.

It seems if they can't link a vote line to it or sale the format around the world afterwards they don't really care about making the programme.

I always think, if people can publish Monthly magazines on a topic, then surely someone could be making a weekly programme on the same thing.

Anyway, on a happier note hopefully we'll soon be posting something on here about an up and coming programme. I suppose in the meantime there's always the Sky At Night Magazine Podcast to listen to.

Well done for writing to Dara O Briain too. Sorry you didn't hear back but thanks for trying.

"The Sky at Night

Sunday on BBC Four at 10 in the evening 

This month the team travel on the largest flying observatory in the world. In a specially converted Jumbo jet, flying on of California.

Hope you enjoy ☺"

Courtesy of "Timebandit" Thanks! 

Archived