Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Betelgeuse, single frame

Swoop1

Whilst I was wandering around Orion last night/ this morning, I thought I would have a go at Betelgeuse, Set up was Sony a6300 prime focus mated to Skywatcher 150P Newtonian on driven EQ3/2 mount. ISO1600, 8 second exposure. 23:58 30/11/2018.

DSC00225.thumb.JPG.71a3f4749840cf96d347c24f733afe0e.JPG

Thanks for your comments folks. @Tubby Bear I'm not sure if it is 52 Orionis. I seem to detect a slight colour difference between the stars one blue/ white the other with a slight yellow hue. Most reference I see to the double mentions them being of similar colour.

Swoop,

The double you show is:

UCAC4-486-015323/015326 these are mag 8.6, B-V 0.67, and mag 8.9, B-V 1.265, separation 18.7 arcsec.

(Getting down to a limit around 12mag is pretty good for an 8sec exposure)

3 minutes ago, jjosefsen said:

I dont tjink you don't have to worry, even though it would be bright enough to cast shadows, the Earth's magnetic field should protect us. ?

Actually you correct, its more distant than I thought, I think I remember reading that less than 100ly to a SN and it will do damage to the ozone layer and less than 33ly and it will remove it.  

6 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Actually you correct, its more distant than I thought, I think I remember reading that less than 100ly to a SN and it will do damage to the ozone layer and less than 33ly and it will remove it.  

Yeah it is at around 640ly, but what a show it would put on!

Archived