Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Short 20 X 60 session

Eastman

Can't believe how fast this year is going by.

Already dec 1st, really great skies tonight, but I'm home late but with these skies one have to go out and gaze. So I guess a quick view with the 20 X60 bino could not harm.

First the Pleiades M45, of course the 7 big sisters are great but tonight I focused on a nice string of stars onthe south west of M45 starting with HD 23631 all the way down to the south west  to star HD23665. Great set of stars forming an sort of cascade.

M31 no sign of it's compagions M32 or M110

M33 long time no see, prominent  big grey fuzz, great to see M33 again. really a bino object.

Then the open star clusters M34, 35, 37, 36 and  my favorite M38.

Now to something harder M1, It is doable with the 20 X 60 but it's a faint fuzzy,

M42, I like this great overview with the bino, seeing the orion nebula  and the rich star field above it in one FOV great stuff.

Last but not least the Chrismas tree cluster NGC 2264, inspired by @Littleguy80. Well it's a chrismas tree to my eyes Neil. great object!

Had a great short session with the Bino, thanks for reading.

Sounds like a great session, Gert.

That chain in M45 does look good. There is also a nice sort of ellipse of stars just below it, HD23753 out to HD23924 and back to HD23791 (there are a couple of out of place stars at the western end that sort of close off the ellipse). I like finding regular patterns in random starfields!

12 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

sometimes using binoculars can be more enjoyable especially on the some of the objects you listed.

It's also the only way to see M33 from my garden, spend way to much time on it trying to find it with a telescope. Probably looking right through it. I really enjoy those wide views, but I should probably buy a 15 X 70 someday.

3 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

If you liked that, try NGC 2169, the 37 cluster :)

I know that one, great object. Time to revisit again?

Archived