Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How good are the VIXEN 2.1 X 42 MM binoculars?

Olli

26 minutes ago, Olli said:

Hi

i was just having a look on Flo and had come across these https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/vixen-sg21x42-widefield-binoculars.html I was just wondering if anyone has tried them before and how good they are. They look really interesting never seen them before. What can you actually see with them?

Many thanks 

I have the same, but Omegon branded. Brilliant and cheaper than the Vixen. They really offer a widefield view.

I have the Vixen model. Very well made and does what it says on the tin. You have to revise your expectations as to what a wide field represents. The apparent field of view, at first impression, appears to be relatively small, you then realise that in this relatively small field you are seeing whole constellations. Not only that, but magnified a couple of times plus an additional +1.5 magnitudes compared to naked eye. Best under darkest skies and not to everyone's taste.     ? 

Had a look through a friend’s Vixen version but was hindered by my bad eyesight.  She thinks they are brilliant but I could not get a focus comfortable for both eyes and could not wear glasses with them as the eye relief is not enough. If your eyesight is good they’ll probably be fine but if you are very short-sighted and astigmatic like me, then you are stuck with ordinary bins.  Or imaging, which is what I mostly play at doing these days.☹️

I had a pair on approval  and just couldn't get with them at all so I sent them back.  On the other hand, I know some people whose opinions I respect who speak highly of them.  So, my advice would be to try (on the night sky) before you buy.  You will know as soon as you look through them if they are suitable for you.

I agree that they are going to be very personal, either way. I live at a dark site and found them extremely interesting. I was only comfortable looking at the central part of the field so the wide field available in principle didn't suit me. However, they gave me the impression of having formidable eyesight - which I certainly don't have - and I enjoyed them. They belonged to a guest. While I enjoyed them I haven't felt the need to splash out, though.

Olly

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I agree that they are going to be very personal, either way. I live at a dark site and found them extremely interesting. I was only comfortable looking at the central part of the field so the wide field available in principle didn't suit me. However, they gave me the impression of having formidable eyesight - which I certainly don't have - and I enjoyed them. They belonged to a guest. While I enjoyed them I haven't felt the need to splash out, though.

Olly

Thanks Olly,I live in a bottle 4 I think. I was only just window shopping really but thought I kind of like the idea of using them while just sitting on a chair or something. maybe it’s just best to buy a decent pair of binos to be on the safe side.

Archived