SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Gone wireless

david_taurus83

The AZEQ6 is such a versatile mount. Not only does it provide a solid EQ platform for imaging but also doubles as a handy Alt Az goto platform for visual. I've got more of a thing for the technicalities of setting up for imaging and beyond all the struggles managing to get a reasonable picture at the end. That said, I do like to look with my own two eyes as well. However, as good as goto is, it can be a bit boring. Commanding it to go to a target and standing back while the mount whines away before eventually settling at your chosen object. Indeed, the most enjoyable observing sessions I've had have been laid back on a sun lounger with my 10 x 50's and manually scouring the heavens with Sky safari on my phone. The satisfaction of finding objects for yourself is far more rewarding.

For a while I've thought about building a homemade dob base to drop my 200p into for quick sessions out the back when the opportunity presents. The problem is, I'm hopeless with woodwork! You've either got it or you ain't!

Well a few days ago, the answer dawned on me!

Ladies and gents, may I present to you all, the AZ-EQ6-Dob GT!

20181130_213125.thumb.jpg.304a508bbe3be31e60f6fbe339cb9af4.jpg

No wires, batteries, hand controller, Wi-Fi dongle, star alignments, nothing! Just chuck the mount out anywhere i want on the slabs, stick the scope on, lightly nip the clutches to offer a bit of resistance and we're away! Started on Mars which was the predictable wobbly mess and I then successfully star hopped over to Neptune! Of course, cloud has rolled in to ruin everything but I've not wasted much time setting up!

Archived