Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

high end ccd camera 9um micron

hello all i use a moravian g28300 and im happy with it  and i use a 12 f4 1200 orion scope ive been doing some searching looking at top of the range cameras with 9um micron  is there any need to use binng on say a ccd camera with 9um micron  because high micron collect moor photons i looked at a ccd calculater if i used say 2x2 binning say with a new high end camera i would be way under sampled so is there any need to use binning on say a ccd camera with 9um microns im in south wales  uk  i know binng 2x2 doubles the light collected  is there any need to use binning with  say with a ccd camera with high microns 

Binning at 2 x 2 lets you get the same image in half the time but half the resolution. It's useful if you have a mono camera and want to collect rgb since the colour resolution isn't as important as luminance in the final image. I have an Atik383l+ (kaf-8300) mono and it has a image capture size selection option. This is very useful for focussing when you want to gather data as quickly as possible :)

Louise

1 minute ago, Thalestris24 said:

I think so! It's been so long since I actually used it, I can't quite remember! But it's great for focussing an otherwise slow camera. :)

Louise

Thanks.  I think the download times for all these USB cameras with largish chips is the same.

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

It's only usb 2.0 and ~8Mpixel, and seems to take ages to download a full image frame ?

Louise

I havent timed it but it's around or just under 10 seconds for mine.  I agreed it's slow for focusing but otherwise a non-issue once imaging

I just fired up my imaging system and connected the Atik. Wondered why it wasn't working, then I remembered to connect the mini hub it's using... (I get so out of practice... :( ). Anyway, in APT it lets you grab 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 of the frame, so quick for that :). Will put it back to sleep now.

Louise

23 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I just fired up my imaging system and connected the Atik. Wondered why it wasn't working, then I remembered to connect the mini hub it's using... (I get so out of practice... :( ). Anyway, in APT it lets you grab 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 of the frame, so quick for that :). Will put it back to sleep now.

Louise

Any idea how to select what area you want to preview as ROI. I can’t seem to get it to do the ROI over eg a particular bright star.

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

Binning at 2 x 2 lets you get the same image in half the time but half the resolution. It's useful if you have a mono camera and want to collect rgb since the colour resolution isn't as important as luminance in the final image. I have an Atik383l+ (kaf-8300) mono and it has a image capture size selection option. This is very useful for focussing when you want to gather data as quickly as possible :)

Louise

thanks louise

16 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Any idea how to select what area you want to preview as ROI. I can’t seem to get it to do the ROI over eg a particular bright star.

Hmm… not sure. Are you using APT? The APT manual says:

Region Of Interest

Allows speeding up the image download, by selecting just small part of the image. Provided are several options that

are fraction of the sensor size for easier selection. If Center ROI is is active (high-lighted), APT automatically uses

the center of the sensor where usually is the focusing star. If Center ROI is not is active (high-lighted) then the area

of ROI can be selected by left clicking in the "LiveView / Image Preview" panel which in this case contains a thin

frame that represents the CCD/CMOS sensor. Note that in order to see the data for the new ROI there is need to

download a new image from the camera.

There is no necessity to use binning, but as stated above if you are short of time, you can collect the coloured component binned but never the Ha or Luminance as this has the detail.

Binning is useful for frame and focus though as it decreases the download time.

Carole 

Archived