Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

It's magic isn't it

Littleguy80

I had to be up at 5:30 for work this morning. Fortunately it was something I could do from home and I was finished at 7am. Taking advantage of being up, I popped outside where the dob was already cooled. I started with a look at Venus, showing as a lovely crescent. My 6 year old son came out to take a look. When I asked him if he could see Venus he said "No but I can see a Moon". I had to agree that it looked like a little Moon. I pointed to Venus and the actual Moon so he could see that telescope wasn't pointing at the Moon.  After another look he left to have his breakfast.

I got my copy of 'The 21st Century Atlas of the Moon' out. I started with the Archimedes region. The Apennines flowed across the surface and disappearing into the terminator. I enjoyed the twin craters of Feuillee and Beer. Archimedes was very impressive with the Archimedes mountains next to it. I took a look at Lambert without realising that Lambert R, referred to as ghost crater, was the actual target on the Lunar 100. One to revisit!. Using Copernicus as a reference point, I worked my way to Fra Mauro. In my reflector, the craters Bonpland and Parry sit above Fra Mauro like mouse ears. There's a small crater at the bottom like a little nose.  It made me smile to see the craters as a mouse face. I noticed from the Atlas that the Apollo 14 landing site it is very close to the small "nose crater".

The last target and highlight of my lunar session was the Davy Crater Chain. It was quite challenging with the sky being quite bright at this point. It really showed the value of a good lunar atlas as I would have completely missed the line of little crater otherwise. I went back for another look at Venus. It had a slightly mottled appearance which wondered whether that may have been coming from clouds in the atmosphere.

My smiling 3 year old daughter came wandering out to join me. I showed her Venus and then the Moon. She really enjoyed it and kept wanting to take turns looking through the eyepiece. When we came inside she said to me "We saw the planets didn't we?". I responded "Yes, we saw the planet called Venus and the Moon". She smiled and said "It's magic isn't it?". I could only agree.

On Saturday, December 01, 2018 at 09:00, david_taurus83 said:

I'm up at 6 myself for work. 

For me, it's 2:00. First thing, even before starting coffee, it's take the dogs out. 

One the good days, I stand there, wishing I could run to the dob, knowing I can't .

My two are grown up, now my joys are my grandkids, and it is magical when you see it really register with them.

Years back, 25 or more, I work my daughters and a friend up because a comet was faintly visible, even a small fuzzy tail.

My daughters friend, 12 or 13, stood there rubbing her eyes saying,  "you woke me to look at a star."

It didn't register.

Enjoy and treasure the time you have while you're children are kids! That time is gone too quickly.

Archived