Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newtonian cooling fan

Is there anyone making cooling fans for an SW 200PDS commercially? I've seen numerous DIY solutions but don't have the tools to make one myself, and having to buy the tools would push the cost up. Plus my DIY skills aren't that great anyway, so I couldn't make it neatly.

James

40 minutes ago, IanC11 said:

Amazon ship one for £30.

Orion 7816 Cooling Accelerator Fan for Large Reflector Telescopes

Unfortunately that is only a fan that fits some Orion telescopes that already have mounting holes for it. It doesn't include the part I can't make, a mounting bracket.

James

I fitted an old computer (PC) cooling fan to my SW 300PDS. The  fan is brushless and I picked it up from the electrical section of my local tip. I really do not know if it was by luck or design, but the 4 off mounting holes matched with the 4 that were already on the mirror cell from new. The thing I really need to do was confirm the screw thread size and replace the connector on the wires to the fan.

Currently away from home so unable to provide pictures.

I too like Ian, fitted an old computer (PC) cooling fan, but I attached it to an vinyl LP (50p Car boot) cut it down to fit the base cut out for the adjustment screws and used velcro to attach. simples!

Tim  

My fix: computer fan on sheet of black acrylic (or similar) cut to shape, fixed to scope with velcro. It can run all night without causing vibrations. All the tools needed are a sharp knife, screw driver and scissors.

Does fitting a cooling fan noticably increase the amount of dust on the mirrors?. It is amazing how much dust a fan sucks into a desktop PC.

And would you arrange the fan to suck air out of the base of the OTA or to blow air into it.?

Since the warmer air already inside the tube will tend to rise, I suppose blowing will cause a quicker cool-down, but maybe there is more dust in the air near ground level.

This is my solution: 

DSC_0359.thumb.JPG.a932bacd5f5f0eedd8038142e9efc385.JPG

The screws holding the mirror cell to the tube have been replaced with longer ones. Additionally, I've added a 3d printed spacer and washer, although these may not be necessary. On the fan end hair bands are threaded through p-clips and the p-clips screwed to the fan mounting holes. The hair bands can simply be hooked around the screws protruding from the mirror cell when the fan is required. 

I have a small fan fitted to the mirror cell of my Orion Optics 12" F/5.3 dobsonian. I have used it occasionally but to be honest I have not noticed any difference in cooling time of the scope. The cell design of my scope is pretty "open" anyway so I guess that helps cooling quite a bit.

oo12cell.jpg

On 29/11/2018 at 11:35, james_screech said:

Is there anyone making cooling fans for an SW 200PDS commercially? I've seen numerous DIY solutions but don't have the tools to make one myself, and having to buy the tools would push the cost up. Plus my DIY skills aren't that great anyway, so I couldn't make it neatly.

James

Hi again James,

I found one DIY vid solution for you witch does not need much tools... . 
You will need to buy a manual Hacksaw (up to £5) and components for the fan, video even has the links to the most of them... some links are broken already, but you can check ebay or amazon for alternatives.

If you and your neighbor does not have the drill for the holes, you can make them simply using the screws for wood and the screwdriver.... takes longer.. but will do the job.

Keep in mind, you do not need to make the hole in the middle round... it can be square, just a bit smaller than your fan.

(Make 3 or 4 holes close to each other in, use knife to connect them, put through the blade of the Hacksaw and cut out the center square)

Or simply bring all parts to me to me (any weekend after all celebrations), - I will do it for you while you wait and drink coffee! :) or beer.
My result will not be super nice, - but will do the job.

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21336

I just used a 140mm 12v dc fan that had rubber corner buffers (Corsair FA140, non-led version)... means it can be shoved into place in the base of a 200PDS without any other equipment required. Fits nice and snug in the hole, friction-fit. Runs happily down to 4.5v, and the rubber corner buffers mean it's vibration-damped also.

Archived