SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ring galaxy (NGC7217)

alan4908

Located in the constellation of Pegasus and about 50m light years distant is the 11th magnitude ring galaxy NGC7217.  Simulations indicate that the formation can be explained by the collision of a two galaxies: a compact galaxy with a larger spiral.   However, today, it has no nearby companions and appears to float isolated in space.

The LRGB image was taken with my Esprit 150 and represents just over 11 hours integration time.

Alan

1354359687_17crop.thumb.jpg.0303935134c83838da93ddf55fa15d15.jpg

LIGHTS: L: 26,R:13,G:11, B:17 x 600s. DARKS:30, FLATS:40, BIAS:100 all at -20C. 

9 hours ago, TheMan said:

I looked at the HST image and yours far surpasses it. Nicely done.

Thanks - I can only assume that the HST image wasn't very well processed !

9 hours ago, coatesg said:

That's a super image! - not an often seen target either. 

Thanks. Yes, it doesn't appear very often - I'm not sure why.

8 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Awesome image and processing Alan. 

Was this on your 10 micron mount or NEQ6?

Thanks for the comment. My Esprit 150 is on my 10micron mount (my ED80 is on the NEQ6).

As a bit of addition info: the image was taken unguided with the 10micron. I've found that giving up guiding has really boosted my  imaging productivity. This is mainly because of the UK weather and my desire to image in non-ideal conditions. So, if a cloud briefly passes by during an exposure, I don't loose the entire exposure which I would do if I was guiding, rather I get a slightly degraded signal on the image.  The other main advantage is that you cannot chase the seeing when you are unguided. 

8 hours ago, Z3roCool said:

This is just brilliant! Not seen this before. Hopefully getting an Esprit 100 soon...can dream of the 150 :D

Thanks - I'm sure you will really love your Esprit 100 - I've been very impressed with my Esprit 150 - the quality of the optics are outstanding. 

7 hours ago, Shibby said:

Awesome little galaxy. Lovely detail and colour!

Thanks - yes, I do like that blue halo effect created by the ring and the inner colour structure. :hello: 

19 hours ago, tony210 said:

Great image and fine dust lane /galaxy detail - Tony.

Thanks Tony :hello:  - I was very pleased with the amount of detail revealed,  which was assisted by my use of Deconvolution of the Lum data in Pixinsight.  I found getting sufficiently saturated colours more difficult, probably due to the faintness of the object. 

Alan

Archived