Narrowband

Andromeda from Kielder

blinky

Finally got everything working and talking to the laptop around 10:30 'ish (I think!) and took another half hour to get the image framed etc. Anyway I set up for 10min subs @ ISO 1600. In typical Star Camp fashion after 1 ub it clouded over for the night :) I was that excited at the detail in the only 10min sub that I forgot to take a dark frame :) So here is the best I can do, I do have the original 10min RAW Sub if anyboy fancies a try at it....

Well here goes!

10015_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having another think about these darks.....I am really shatterd after Kielder yesterday! But I dont think taking a dark now would work. The temperature down at Kielder must have been -5 or -6, at the moment in Edinburgh it is still above freezing. Surely a 12min exposure is going to have significantly more hot pixels that the real dark should have...

For a single 10 minute sub that's a pretty impressive M31! I don't think your missing darks make a lot of difference - there are so many stars in the M31 field anyway that it'd take a magician to find the hot pixels.

One thought about taking darks with the camera too warm - surely too many hot pixels isn't a problem is it? Just subtract the dark and clip any resultant value below zero. Subtracting a hot pixel in the dark, from a non-hot pixel in the light frame, will lead to a value below zero so it'll be clipped out. Or am I missing something?

The gradient/amp glow is rather noticeable on my monitor but I'm sure someone will be able to deal with it.

Yep put the camera in the fridge... I have done that in the past to create library darks...

But might have to be the freezer for those temps - or use one of those ice box things with a freezer pack in it put some polystyrene inthere between the camera and the freezer pack

Billy...

OK I took the easy route and cropped out the amp glow. I will try tomorrow and take a 10min dark frame. Also think I managed to pull a bit more from the image. For now I am happy with it...that does not mean I wont keep tinkering with it though :)

10025_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Thanks for all the comments guys :thumbright: . Phil I dont think we met but I do have a terrible memory for names!

Billy, I was aiming to capture the blueness as I too use that as a mark of a good M31. I am about to try and clean my fish tank then may try and get that 10min dark frame, the camera is cooling down in the hut at the moment :)

Archived