SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HEQ5 sounds

So I just now received a used HEQ5 Pro mount, but I was a bit surprised about the sounds I was hearing, just hadn't expected it to sound that way. Since I don´t know how these mounts are suppose to sound i´m asking here. First off the mount head / electronics / motors makes a constant "whining" sound when its ON, also when slewing the motors makes like a "grinding" noise and sometimes the pitch of the sound changes during slewing, also when you release the slew button the motors continues to sound like half a second, like it takes some time for them to completely stop?

Is this how a HEQ5 Pro is suppose to sound? If a video is needed i can post that, but I thought I ask first.

Im coming from a ETX70 refractor GOTO scope and it does sound really different.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, if you want to compare the sound of your mount and other mounts of HEQ5 PRO type, then go to youtube and search fir HEQ5 PRO SLEW and you w ill find many videos and can compare the sound yours is doing and compared to others with HEQ5 PRO mount..

I hsve an azeq5 mount, and that also makes sound during giiding and slewing..

Cheers & good luck

Martin

They can make alarming sounds if the worm is set too tight but this is unlikely if you've just bought it. If you could upload a vid to YouTube of your mount skewing we could give you a definite answer but it sounds like the mount is operating normally.

Wow so many answers in just a few minutes, fantastic, thank you all. 

Well that sounds really assuring, like I said I wasn't expecting that kind of sounds, but I guess its due to bigger motors and bigger everything than my ETX70 GOTO. Im new in this hobby so i´m pretty clueless, so these kind of forums is so good for a place to get some answers from experienced people.  

I know I bought the HEQ5 too early, but It was a good price on the used HEQ5 Pro mount + Skywatcher 200PDS, and I got an additional 20% off If ordered it on Black Friday. By the way, i know that the 200PDS its a bit on the heavy end for this mount with camera gear attached, but one can always swap to a lighter scope instead. My goal is Astrophotography, but that will be later.  If only the Postal system hadn't messed up 50% of my order (shipped in 4 shipments, only received 2, extremely annoying), the 200PDS is still missing and the HEQ5 tripod legs.

Yeah, my HEQ5 sounds like the one in the lower of the 2 videos. But I noticed its mainly on certain slew speeds that it sounds worse, in my case speed 7 If I remember correctly, so does every slew speed use a different gear, I guess so?

The belt mod kit looks like a given upgrade, the cost seems really worth it, why didn't Skywatcher use belts on these mounts, more expensive or? Is this mod easy to do?

33 minutes ago, FarAndBeyond said:

Wow so many answers in just a few minutes, fantastic, thank you all. 

Well that sounds really assuring, like I said I wasn't expecting that kind of sounds, but I guess its due to bigger motors and bigger everything than my ETX70 GOTO. Im new in this hobby so i´m pretty clueless, so these kind of forums is so good for a place to get some answers from experienced people.  

I know I bought the HEQ5 too early, but It was a good price on the used HEQ5 Pro mount + Skywatcher 200PDS, and I got an additional 20% off If ordered it on Black Friday. By the way, i know that the 200PDS its a bit on the heavy end for this mount with camera gear attached, but one can always swap to a lighter scope instead. My goal is Astrophotography, but that will be later.  If only the Postal system hadn't messed up 50% of my order (shipped in 4 shipments, only received 2, extremely annoying), the 200PDS is still missing and the HEQ5 tripod legs.

Yeah, my HEQ5 sounds like the one in the lower of the 2 videos. But I noticed its mainly on certain slew speeds that it sounds worse, in my case speed 7 If I remember correctly, so does every slew speed use a different gear, I guess so?

The belt mod kit looks like a given upgrade, the cost seems really worth it, why didn't Skywatcher use belts on these mounts, more expensive or? Is this mod easy to do?

Same set of gears used at each slew speed, but it's the speed and frequency of gear meshing that produces pitch of sound that you hear - so it's the "shape" of the sound that is different - and for that reason you perceive it as worse.

Skywatcher does produce belt driven mounts - Eq6R is one in eq6 class. There are also EqAz5 and 6 both using belt drives - all of that came after people started modding and producing mod kits for belts.

And yes, its really worth upgrade, pretty easy to do (I did it on Heq5, Eq6 is a bit different but there are instructions supplied with kits).

1 hour ago, vlaiv said:

Same set of gears used at each slew speed, but it's the speed and frequency of gear meshing that produces pitch of sound that you hear - so it's the "shape" of the sound that is different - and for that reason you perceive it as worse.

Skywatcher does produce belt driven mounts - Eq6R is one in eq6 class. There are also EqAz5 and 6 both using belt drives - all of that came after people started modding and producing mod kits for belts.

And yes, its really worth upgrade, pretty easy to do (I did it on Heq5, Eq6 is a bit different but there are instructions supplied with kits).

Okay so the more expensive and newer mounts are belt driven. Have the HEQ5 and for example HEQ3 been discontinued and not manufactured anymore, since I just checked the Skywatcherusa.com website and the only GEM mounts they have on their website is EQ6-R, AZ-EQ5 and EQM-35?

By the way, the handset ive got was apparently ordered brand new for this setup, it is the Synscan with the more rounded look at the top, I dont know if there are different versions of those? The handset says something a long the line of 4.39.4 at startup, so is that the latest firmware, if not should I upgrade, and what new functions have been added, are they worth upgrading for? I couldn't even found a firmware version called 4.39.4 online.

Im asking since I have a vague memory that I have read that some version of the Synscan was better before the update and people recommended not to upgrade since some functions was lost after update, or maybe it was the Meade 497 handset?

What I consider an important update is if it improves tracking or something else that is important for stability of the system, not some new added objects etc.

14 minutes ago, FarAndBeyond said:

Okay so the more expensive and newer mounts are belt driven. Have the HEQ5 and for example HEQ3 been discontinued and not manufactured anymore, since I just checked the Skywatcherusa.com website and the only GEM mounts they have on their website is EQ6-R, AZ-EQ5 and EQM-35?

By the way, the handset ive got was apparently ordered brand new for this setup, it is the Synscan with the more rounded look at the top, I dont know if there are different versions of those? The handset says something a long the line of 4.39.4 at startup, so is that the latest firmware, if not should I upgrade, and what new functions have been added, are they worth upgrading for? I couldn't even found a firmware version called 4.39.4 online.

Im asking since I have a vague memory that I have read that some version of the Synscan was better before the update and people recommended not to upgrade since some functions was lost after update, or maybe it was the Meade 497 handset?

What I consider an important update is if it improves tracking or something else that is important for stability of the system, not some new added objects etc.

EQM-35 is latest addition and it's a mix between EQ3 and EQ5 - EQ3 with EQ5 worm wheel - supposed to be better, but I have not seen any reports yet of how it performs (and I think I saw indication somewhere that someone complained of its performance).

As for handset, sorry, can't help there - I have HEQ5 Syntrek model - no hand controller with goto, just basic one which I don't even use, since I connect mount to computer and use EQMod - I use mount for imaging exclusively.

18 hours ago, FarAndBeyond said:

By the way, i know that the 200PDS its a bit on the heavy end for this mount with camera gear attached, but one can always swap to a lighter scope instead. My goal is Astrophotography, but that will be later.

I thought the same but I tried the HEQ5 & 200PDS combo out for the first time recently, this is my first image with this set up using a DSLR (16 subs, no calibration frames). Its not perfect but I was happy as first attempt with what I thought might be quite difficult equipment.

I used an OAG to keep the weight down and was getting 10 minute exposures no problem. Yes, I guess it’s probably near its weight limit for imaging but with suitable conditions it worked OK. I’m looking forward to doing some more with 200PDS now.

Good luck ! ?

triangulum-galaxy-web.jpg

@Spaced Out There's not much wrong with that for a first go !!!! (Or any go!!!)

It's not so much the weight of the 200PDS that troubles the HEQ5 its the shape/windage - its a got a big wind profile and such a big tube is prone to being blown about a bit which will mess up the guiding and give odd shaped stars - not saying it can't be done - clearly it can - but its not ideal.

On 29/11/2018 at 18:32, Stub Mandrel said:

Hmm.

I adjusted mine and greased the gears with high quality grease.

When I took it to my astro club it was purring away on a slew and I was asked if I had done the belt mod - I haven't.

Noisy gears usually means too much backlash.

Well, listening to the many answers in this thread it sounds like most "non-belt modded" HEQ5´s sounds pretty much like mine? So what exact type of grease do you used? And how did you adjust your mount?

1 hour ago, FarAndBeyond said:

Well, listening to the many answers in this thread it sounds like most "non-belt modded" HEQ5´s sounds pretty much like mine? So what exact type of grease do you used? And how did you adjust your mount?

Finish Line Teflon Grease (sold for bicycles). I adjusted the positions of the gears/steppers to be as close as possible without binding.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Finish Line Teflon Grease (sold for bicycles). I adjusted the positions of the gears/steppers to be as close as possible without binding.

Okay i see. Yeah i think if everything is working as it should there is still improvement that can be done by greasing etc? But i wonder if its not better to do the belt mod, it doesnt seem too expensive and they say its not that hard to do.

Does the mount need need some special calibration after the belt mod or the motors be in some special position afterwards etc., or is it just to install the hardware and your directly good to go with hopefully perfect tracking?

10 minutes ago, FarAndBeyond said:

Okay i see. Yeah i think if everything is working as it should there is still improvement that can be done by greasing etc? But i wonder if its not better to do the belt mod, it doesnt seem too expensive and they say its not that hard to do.

Does the mount need need some special calibration after the belt mod or the motors be in some special position afterwards etc., or is it just to install the hardware and your directly good to go with hopefully perfect tracking?

My understanding is that the belt mod is easy to fit and easier to adjust than gears. I don't know if it is more accurate, it may be and I may go for it one day.

The Rowan mod uses the same ratios so there are no special changes.

I think that belt mod is a bit less of involvement than tuning the mount. But best way to do it is to do it all in one go - since you are already "opening up" your mount.

When I did my belt mod - I did complete thing - replaced all bearings, application of grease and tuning as well as putting belt mod on motors.

There are two kinds of belt mods - one that preserves original gear ratio and can be used with hand set controller, and other that changes gear ratio - this can only be used with EQMod and computer control of the mount.

Benefits of first are obvious - you continue using your mount normally, either via handset or via computer and EQMod. Second option is maybe a bit better for AP - it uses larger gears and errors due to meshing of belt and motor gear is reduced, so I believe it tends to produce a bit smoother running mount - better guiding performance.

There are some good guides on the web and videos on you tube that you can look up and see how it's done.

http://www.astro-baby.com/heq5-rebuild/heq5-m1.htm

http://www.rowanastronomy.com/pdf/HEQ5-Belt-Kit.pdf

Nobody it appears has mentioned the ‘clutch’ sound that is indicative of either a worm adjustment that is too tight or a poorly balanced OTA.  Having lived with an HEQ5 for 7 years I wouldn’t do anything until I had adjusted the worm float for both axes. Use the astrobaby link posted by @vlaiv. It’s not unusual for this mount to be noisy. I eventually did a Rowan mod but only to remove backlash in imaging. It didn’t make much difference if any to the noise level during slewing.

Archived