Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Inside Pixinsight 2nd Edition.

Just a 'heads up' in case no one's posted this before: Inside  Pixinsight 2nd Edition by Warren Keller is due to be published on 16 December 2018.  

I've got mine on order. It was due to be published in November I believe, but it's been pushed back to December. I don't know why.  

Available through Hive.co.uk  - for  those who like me prefer not to order through the evil Amazon. 

17 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

I have the first edition but prefer Chris Woodhouse's 'The Astrophotography Manual' - thanks for the heads up on warren's book

I haven't seen or got the first edition but since the second is due imminently it seems worth waiting for that before buying. 

Does this book cater for what I would describe as an intermediate user?  i.e. Someone who knows how to do the basic stuff like removing background gradients and doing curve and histogram transformations etc, but wants to learn the more nitty gritty stuff like how to do star masks correctly and how to do deconvolution correctly?  I'm kind of at this level and I feel like I'm just doing time consuming trial and error until something looks ok and I want to make the next step.

@scitmon I'm hoping so as I'm at a similar stage. Only those with the first edition can answer your question. 

I'm hoping too that this is a true 2nd edition in that it contains everything in the first edition but amended as necessary and new material added. I reckoned for just over 20 quid it was worth a punt whatever it's like. Experienced imagers on SGL wrote highly of the first edition a little while ago. We'll see. 

4 hours ago, scitmon said:

Does this book cater for what I would describe as an intermediate user?  i.e. Someone who knows how to do the basic stuff like removing background gradients and doing curve and histogram transformations etc, but wants to learn the more nitty gritty stuff like how to do star masks correctly and how to do deconvolution correctly?  I'm kind of at this level and I feel like I'm just doing time consuming trial and error until something looks ok and I want to make the next step.

Have you had a look at the videos/DVDs from the same person?  I found these useful to allow you to see how things work initially.

Hi

Yes the book does cover what I would call intermediate stuff as well including decon :)

the second edition has info on new modules introduced since the first edition , with a few updates on the old stuff

I like warrens stuff - not too in your face

Cheers

Harry

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, scitmon said:

Contemplating cancellation and getting the kindle edition instead

I got the kindle version of the first edition and personally I found it very difficult to use on any of my devices. It was ok for just reading through it but as a reference I found it hard work and wished I had a paper copy to jump back and forth as required. I also found it very slow to use both on the android app and also the pc version. I've now ordered a paper copy of the second edition.

On 17 December 2018 at 17:31, scitmon said:

Amazon informed me that delivery of the 2nd addition has been unexpectedly delayed.  Contemplating cancellation and getting the kindle edition instead. ?

Ah, now is that the second time it's been delayed I wonder?  It was supposed to be available from 16 December I think. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Whirlwind that's interesting.  Edit: oh, 31st of December!!!

I received a phone call today from the bookshop through which I'm ordering this book. They asked their supplier to find out what the publication status of this 2nd edition was. They have been told that there is an unspecified hold up in the production run. 

It looks like it might be available as an e-book on the springer site. But I'd rather have a paper copy. 

14 minutes ago, AngryDonkey said:

Got an email from Warren to say that there were some books (mistakenly) sent out by Amazon but it turned out that there was a problem with a messed up index which still needs fixing. No estimate was given though.

OK. Thanks for that info. I was thinking of emailing Warren Keller myself. 

• 1 month later...

At last! My local bookshop rang this morning to say they've received my copy.  Picked it up this afternoon and I've just been looking through it over a cuppa. It looks excellent.   I think Warren Keller's book is just what I need now to provide rather more structured learning to supplement the various ad hoc online videos and tutorials I've been using thus far.  I like the way the book sensibly follows a chronological path through the processing workflow. 

• 3 weeks later...

Going to give PI a go so have ordered this. Like getting to grips with new software :) and a good book helps. 

Been waiting for the 2nd Edition to finally publish so will try and feed back from the point of view of someone who’s never touched PI before 

Archived