Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Skipper Billy

Anyone using an OGEM mount??

20 minutes ago, Whirlwind said:

I'm not an engineer.  Is there any empirical evidence for the benefit of one over another to confirm this statement?  What about gear systems as well.  With absolute encoders on the Astro-physics mounts there doesn't seem to be any problems?

I'm not sure I understand.  You want evidence to prove that friction drive is likely to provide better performance than belt drive or that direct drive is better than both?  I have both friction and belt and can confirm this bit by first hand experience.

Absolute encoders will do nothing at all to eliminate backlash.  This is a physical attribute of geared drives.

Edited by RayD

2 hours ago, RayD said:

I'm not sure I understand.  You want evidence to prove that friction drive is likely to provide better performance than belt drive or that direct drive is better than both?  I have both friction and belt and can confirm this bit by first hand experience.

Absolute encoders will do nothing at all to eliminate backlash.  This is a physical attribute of geared drives. 

Just really empirical evidence that one method is better than another?  The backlash was referring to the other comment in relation to gears. I appreciate that you've experienced multiple types of mount but that's not really empirical evidence but more anecdotal evidence which could simply be bias from always aiming to obtain a better mount.  What I am really wondering is whether there is empirical evidence to suggest one method is simply better than another or whether some approaches are easier to implement and hence can get a much wider range of quality - hence the comment on the Astrophysics mounts which are gear driven but are considered at the top end of the market (whilst there are also poor examples of gear driven mounts)?  Are any of the methods empirically better if they are applied as well as you possibly can?

9 hours ago, Whirlwind said:

Just really empirical evidence that one method is better than another?  The backlash was referring to the other comment in relation to gears. I appreciate that you've experienced multiple types of mount but that's not really empirical evidence but more anecdotal evidence which could simply be bias from always aiming to obtain a better mount.  What I am really wondering is whether there is empirical evidence to suggest one method is simply better than another or whether some approaches are easier to implement and hence can get a much wider range of quality - hence the comment on the Astrophysics mounts which are gear driven but are considered at the top end of the market (whilst there are also poor examples of gear driven mounts)?  Are any of the methods empirically better if they are applied as well as you possibly can?

Off topic, but check out also the Crux mounts. It's a different type of gearing with its specific advantages and disadvantages.

Edited to keep thread on track.

The mount appears to have a sound design concept, and when a reliable and suitable controller is adopted I'm sure it will give adequate performance for most users.

Edited by RayD

33 minutes ago, moise212 said:

Off topic, but check out also the Crux mounts. It's a different type of gearing with its specific advantages and disadvantages.

Very unique, thanks for that.

After reflection and saw the deviation of the topic, the real question is whether this OGEM mount will be or will not be a good mount, suitable for astrophotography with good monitoring with a significant load possible.

It is not necessary to compare it to any mount with gear or friction drive.

It's my point of view.

2 minutes ago, dahle said:

After reflection and saw the deviation of the topic, the real question is whether this OGEM mount will be or will not be a good mount, suitable for astrophotography with good monitoring with a significant load possible.

It is not necessary to compare it to any mount with gear or friction drive.

It's my point of view.

Absolutely.  It looks like it has the potential to be a very good mount in its own right so no comparison needed, or even possible, with it being a bit of a hybrid.

• Thanks 1

For me i would like to see real world comparison vs the Mesu 200, not because of the design, but purely based on the cost as the Mesu 200 is going to be very similar in cost by the time you factor in an €1000+ euro for the stainless steel and encoder upgrades, not to mention further potential upgrade costs for the SiTech controller if they can't get the FreeGo system to work.

So my interest is purely a cost vs performance comparison, and my gut feeling is that final cost is going to end up so close to the Mesu that there might be very little to separate it from the Mesu.

I think if they can get the absolute encoders to work properly, even if the price was the same as the Mesu, then that would be the saving Grace. The absolute encoders would be enough to set it apart from tbe mesu and potentially make it a better option.

I would like to see them pull it off to also give the likes of ASA and 10 Micron some competition.

I think mark needs to be smart here a launch 2 different products :

A base model at a lower price point to take on tbe EQ8 and ioptoron mount and a pro model with the stainless & absolute encoder upgrade to take on Mesu. I think if he can do that, then he will take market by storm provided the mount is reliable.

Rich.

Edited by Northernlight
  • Like 1