Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all. What a great site!

Lurcher

28 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

When doing your comparison, I advise you to do your initial observation of each object using the 200 and then use the 300.

Good point. I'll do that thanks.

And I suppose there isn't such a rush as I've built it up to be in my mind; it's just that I justified buying a new scope by thinking I would sell the 200mm immediately. Also, the 200mm scope sat quite neatly in my Office, whereas two scopes look a crowded mess! But I might have left it too late now to catch someone looking to buy something for Christmas.

I suppose it's quite a nice dilemma to have.

(Trying out the new scope last night I have also discovered something else out about the focuser/eyepiece holder which I hadn't appreciated before and which I now have to sort out. I'll post a question on one of equipment boards somewhere). 

Thanks again to everyone on here. It's a great forum.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Eastman and Proto Star. Thanks for your welcomes.

And!! I went out with both scopes last night and although there really wasn't much in it at all. I have at last decided I'm going to sell my 200mm scope. I'll add it onto the sale section if anyone's interested or knows of anyone. It really is a great scope. The four small stars in a group in the centre of the Orion Nebula were pin sharp last night through it. 

Anyway thanks all.

20 hours ago, Helen said:

Have you found this site ?

Ooh. Not tried that. Thanks Helen. I'll give that a go too.

Thanks.

(Oh, and since my earlier post where I was comparing my two scopes, I've now found out that the four stars I saw in the centre of the Orion nebula are called the Trapezium, and are really well known. So I probably showed up my ignorance by referring to them as "the four small stars". Still, good to have learnt another little thing!).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone. I hope you all had a good Christmas!

I just wanted to update this thread, and say with a thanks to everyone who kindly posted their replies to my indecision over which scope I should part with - I managed to sale my original 200mm GoTo scope just before Christmas which was very timely and brought in some much needed cash at just the right time.

(I do hope my old scope is happy in it's new home!).

Thanks all. All the best,

Welcome to SGL and good to hear you managed to find a new home for the scope, hopefully it will bring plenty of fun to the new owners.

On 02/12/2018 at 10:44, Lurcher said:

(Oh, and since my earlier post where I was comparing my two scopes, I've now found out that the four stars I saw in the centre of the Orion nebula are called the Trapezium, and are really well known. So I probably showed up my ignorance by referring to them as "the four small stars". Still, good to have learnt another little thing!).

I also did not know this, so you have taught me something today :)

20 hours ago, upahill said:

I also did not know this, so you have taught me something today

Ha! There's so much to learn isn't there?? Thanks for your message. And yes I hope my old scope's gone to a good home. It seemed quite light polluted where it was now living so I hope it's going to be ok! (sniff).

On the subject of learning - I was reading in "Astronomy Now" yesterday that the Rosette Nebula (NGC 2237) is just to the left of Orion in Monocros, and apparently well worth a look with a wide angles lens, but that's another deep sky object I've never seen, so can't wait to see that if we get any clear skies before Orion disappears again!

All the best and thanks.

Archived