SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What stacking software for a low spec pooter?

Swoop1

With the moving out of No.2 Son and me inheriting his cupboard space for astro kit storeage, I also get a corner of the room to set up a computer for image processing.

The unit is a Hewlett Packard which is a good few years old and running Windows 7.

As both the computer and the meatwares abilitiies are low spec, which is a good stacking programme to download to learn the trade?

Thanks,

Matt

I first used Deep Sky Stacker too, but have since moved on to Astro Pixel Processor (not free, but I find it better). I run it on a laptop with a Core-M processor and 4 GB RAM, so not a very high spec machine. My Core-I5 desktop with 16 GB RAM is distinctly faster, but the laptop certainly copes.

I've downloaded loads and the only one that made sense to me without studying a manual was Sequator, however I have been singularly unsuccessful at getting that to install on a modern Windows 10 machine, but it runs on all other previous OS with no issues.

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I have got sequator working on this windows 10 64 bit PC though i cannot recall now if I had to install anything else first in order to get it to work.

Interesting - I'd like to get it to work too - I'll go and dig out what error messages I get and its possible you or someone might be able to help, back soon.

Nothing like computers for calling you a 'liar'.  I'd tried that installation twice and got error messages, I'd given up and gone back to my desktop machine and used that instead.  I've just gone back to the new W10 portable, extracted the already downloaded zipfile ran the .exe and the program opened like a dream!  Looks like the problem is solved, but don't ask me what's gone on - still at least I've now discovered it is working!

While DSS is free I can't say I like it and found it very slow when I tried it. I'm a great lover of AstroArt which is reasonably priced, logical and incredibly fast at the stacking stage, which might be a help on an old machine. (I'm talking about deep sky imaging here.)

Olly

37 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

While DSS is free I can't say I like it and found it very slow when I tried it. I'm a great lover of AstroArt which is reasonably priced, logical and incredibly fast at the stacking stage, which might be a help on an old machine. (I'm talking about deep sky imaging here.)

Olly

+1 for Astroart. THE best DSO stacking programme.  Has lots of other goodies as well, I particularly like the gradient killer, frame registration and RGB combine functions....

1 hour ago, Hallingskies said:

+1 for Astroart. THE best DSO stacking programme.  Has lots of other goodies as well, I particularly like the gradient killer, frame registration and RGB combine functions....

...not to mention 'remove line' which enables you to use subs vandalized by satellites and planes.

Olly

1 hour ago, Thalestris24 said:

I think Kappa-sigma stacking in dss does that? It's so long since I last did any stacking, I can't remember... :(

Louise

If you have a vast number of subs you are right. If you have a trifling 15 or so you can expect some vestiges of the line to remain. However, if you help the sigma routine by greatly diminishing the line with the 'Remove Line' filter before putting it in the stack you'll get away with it with a far smaller number of subs. Also, not all sigma routines are equally effective. I've used AstroArt through three updates and the routine has certainly improved in that time. I really do rate it as a stacking-calibrating software. Pixinsight drove me nuts and I haven't tried APP. I take the view that if I can get good results while stacking in AA then anybopdy can. This stuff isn't my strong point! I don't function till I get into post processing...

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Pixinsight drove me nuts...

Me too, glad it ain't just me!  And it often seems (to me, anyway) to introduce strange dark striations into DSOs that only exist in PI processed images. But that's for another thread...

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

Another vote for AA5. If I can ever find my registration key, somewhere in the depths of the computer's registry, I might upgrade to the latest version.

I actually prefer the colour combining in AA5. They introduced a lot of white balance adjustments in 6 and I've never bothered to learn how to use them! I just use 5 for that task. It ain't broke...

Olly

Archived