SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binning in PHD Guiding

lukebl

Hi folks. I use a QHY5-II Monochrome camera and and Off-axis guider for guiding.

Finding stars is usually no problem, but I'm thinking of getting a longer focal length scope, and the QHY5 might find it difficult to find a star so I thought binning would be an option. However, there doesn't seem to be an option in PHD2 for this camera to capure with 2x2 binning. I know the camera can be binned, as you can do it in Sharpcap.

Any idea if it's possible to bin captures in PHD?

2 minutes ago, Shibby said:

Binning should be present within the advanced camera settings (Camera tab). https://openphdguiding.org/man-dev/Advanced_settings.htm

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be an option:

32188224698_ebe4b39598_o.jpg

I just wondered if I could somehow 'fool' PHD into binning, given that it doesn't seem to have this option with the QHY5 but that I know binning is possible with this cam.

2 minutes ago, RayD said:

I think the option only comes up if the camera supports hardware binning.  I suspect the QHY5-II can only support software binning which is why the option isn't there.

Yup, it's a CMOS camera so the binning benefits are diminished. However, do we assume the longer FL scope would have more aperture? The star count goes up considerably with aperture in my experience, so the problem might not arise.

Olly

Archived