Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

kapiteinhadock

Hello

Hello I joined this forum because I ordered a Sky-Watcher Heritage-76 Mini Dobsonian. I'm 50 years old and live in Gibraltar. As I'm a mariner I have been a stargazer for the 33 years but I never owned or even looked through a telescope. I hope this fairly cheap telescope will introduce me to a new hobby. My main concern is the light pollution we have in Gibraltar. I'm always happy to be at sea in the night were the skies are filled with stars. I hope to find lots of tips on how to start.

Hello and welcome. Download Stellarium - it help you locate targets.

Peter

Welcome. Have fun with the hobby.

Pollution may obscure the stars you saw while at sea - but your new scope will be more stable on terra firma. 

Hi, and a very warm welcome to the Lounge. I had the wonderful opportunity of visiting Gibraltar a few weeks ago and they have a great astro society.  :)

Steve

On 25/11/2018 at 05:11, kapiteinhadock said:

My main concern is the light pollution we have in Gibraltar.

Welcome. You might want to look into light pollution filters.

Hallo kapitein, welkom!

capture_001_28112018_040445.png.d14e6ff5d96bd6ae11a950f44b7643aa.png

• Like 1

Welcome to the lounge.

Hi Kapitein, welcome to the site. I am a newbie too and at 56, I wish I had started earlier. The sky is beautiful at night with the naked eye, but with the scope, it is like having a new set of eyes and a completely different landscape. I hope you are as awestruck as I am..

Hi there,

welcome to the forum.  It is a pity that ships can take you to the darkest skies but a stable telescope platform they are not.  However, if you can find a deserted isle.....

Hope you enjoy your scope and it opens up more of the wonders of the skies to you.

John