Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Postmaster or this scope

Hi all, 

I am  new to astrophotography and am stil! looking to build up my equipment. I have an HEQ5 Pro to go mount and 200pcs Skywatcher OTA. 

I want to primarily focus on DSO,s (pardon the pun)

I am thinking about my next purchase and am torn between a postmaster for accurate alignment or  a guidescope.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Neil

I assume you mean this (Polemaster):

Polemaster.jpeg.1efd33cf673043472ffa6cc08f54a81c.jpeg

and not this:

PostmanPat.jpg.7141cd09ce64ce288b2daf1fd719d72c.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist ?

To answer your question, personally I think the Polemaster is a great piece of kit and makes polar alignment really easy. It is however expensive and similar alignment can be reached with other (cheaper) means, which might however take a bit more effort to setup. So if money is an issue then I would definitely spend it somewhere else.

If you search the forum you will find a lot of people are using SharpCap (which is free) to polar align with a short fl guide scope and a cheap CMOS camera. This might tie in nicely if if you want to invest in a guide scope and camera. A good thread is here:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/298664-polemaster-diy-build/

The best improvement in your imaging will come from adding auto-guiding to the mix so this would be the better choice. I have a Polemaster and it is excellent (I liked it enough to write the UK manual for it!) but there are plenty of other ways to polar align if your current budget will only allow you to have one of your two choices!

Yes I agree with all the above reasoning.  To be honest, and I shouldn't really say this, but if your polar alignment is fairly close but not perfect the guiding will probably compensate for a small amount of error.

Carole 

Archived