Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HDEW Cameras

David Smith

Not an astronomy supplier as such but when I decided to upgrade my DSLR this is where I ended up ordering from.

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/

I had done all the research, decided on either an EOS 800D or EOS 77D with the latter being the preferred option. Shopped around the traditional UK retailers and found the 800D for about £550 and the 77D was more like £700. Then I looked on ebay and found them for a little less but they were import versions. The saving I was going to make made the risk of getting something that I potentially had no warranty or recourse for unjustifiable. Whilst researching the pros and cons of import cameras though I came across HDEW Cameras (recommendation from another forum) who have been in business sine 1993 and offer a 3 year warranty on the cameras I was looking at. The savings available here were significant too, with the 800D available for less than £400 and the 77D for ~£460. So after some more deliberation / procrastination and a quick email exchange with Shaun at HDEW I eventually ordered the 77D @ £459! Ordered Thursday, delivered the following Monday, well inside their claim of 48 hours from despatch.

I received a brand new fully functional EOS 77D body kit with all the trimmings (Battery, charger, strap and cap). The camera is clearly intended to be sold in North America but came with an adaptor to allow the charger to be used in the UK. Obviously I don't have a UK EOS 77D to compare with but I can find no difference between the item received and the descriptions available on the interweb (and I studied the specs for a considerable time before pulling the trigger on either model). I received a card inside the box with details of how to pursue warranty claims (via HDEW cameras) but I cannot vouch for their warranty process as I have not had cause to use it.

In summary despite a little anxiety before the spend I am very pleased with my purchase and would encourage others to consider HDEW cameras based on this experience.

Archived