Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hi Julian,

Don't worry about me falling over, I have done it twice since May, both times the dog tripped me up......

So I am well practiced

Have a safe trip.

Adrian

Not long now peeps 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Julian,

Don't worry about me falling over, I have done it twice since May, both times the dog tripped me up......

That dog deserves a biscuit :evil6:

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Have a safe trip.

Adrian

Pardon the pun :icon_biggrin:

• Haha 2

Hi Damiam,

Since my tripping practice, there is no such thing as a safe trip!!!!!!!

Anyway I am hoping to arrive safe and sound and lets hope everyone else achieves that as well....

Adrian

• Like 3

Can't remember where I put my telescope its been that long!!!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, estwing said:

Try nearly 4 years. Hope I don't forget anything. Still searching just in case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, estwing said:

Tripped over mine at the foot of the stairs so definitely know where it is!!! 

• Haha 1

Hi Folks,

I was dreaming and then woke up.........

The topic we talk about most often is the Weather:

The weather forecast on the Scope Nights app...  as at Thursday 24 Oct 12:30

Friday night 25 Oct.......       Poor with heavy rain

Saturday night 26 Oct...      Partly cloudy with rain showers

Sunday night 27 Oct.....       Mostly Clear.     great!

Monday night 28 Oct.....      Mostly Clear     even better

Tuesday night 29 Oct....      Poor  Rain

Wednesday night 30 Oct... Poor. Rain

Thursday night 31 Oct.....   Mostly Clear.     Great

Friday night 1 Nov.....          Mostly Cloudy

Saturday night 2 Nov...       Overcast 

No further dates given.

So we have clear nights and poor nights for improving our whiskey tasting skills

Travel safely, 

Adrian

Hi All just had a quick word with Lesley overnight rain has made the field wet . but it is drying quickly, Julian had just arreived on site so we will get a detailed report later ,no doubt.

Mike

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi All just had a quick word with Lesley overnight rain has made the field wet . but it is drying quickly, Julian had just arreived on site so we will get a detailed report later ,no doubt.

Mike

This is what I was worried about with all this rain . As we got cancelled a couple of years ago because the field was flooded. Fingers crossed it will be ok. And next Thursday is when I'll be arriving, so I'll bring them clear skies with me

• Like 2

I've decided to head up Saturday morning as I've not got everything sorted and friday night is looking poor.

We've only had one event cancelled and the weather had been awful on the run up. 

Julian will probably pop on with a full appraisal of the site conditions but they're probably o.k. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Julian will probably pop on with a full appraisal of the site conditions but they're probably o.k. 

He might be too busy holding his tent down 😮

• Haha 3

Hi Mike,

Spoke to Lesley this afternoon.

They had sunshine this afternoon but expecting rain tonight.

Lesley believes the field will dry out fairly quickly.

Julian is on pitch 18 as there is a caravan on pitch 17 but should be leaving either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Getting things ready to pack, it was too wet to pack the car today 

All the very best.

Adrian

• Like 3

Mike, Annette and I are travelling up on Saturday. Meeting up on the A69 just before Corbridge. Hope to be there between 2-3 ish.

Crossed fingers for the weather and hope it is actually better than Adrian says.

Derek

• Like 1

Hi Derek,

The weather on Night Scopes has changed with Friday and Saturday 1 and 2 November from "cloudy and overcast " to Mostly Clear at 23:00 tonight.

Give it another few days and it will be brilliant.

Have a good trip.

Adrian

• Like 2

Cheers Adrian, actually been right out of it all for some time now as Mike will tell you. I have never heard of Night Scopes. Just been using BBC, ugg, and XC weather. XC shows some hope so fingers crossed.

Same to all safe journey to the camp.

Derek

Just found it. I see it is Scope Nights Astronomy Weather, an Apple application. Pity it is only Apple.

Edited by Physopto
search for app

Well I got here yesterday late morning, driving non-stop from Surrey @ 01:00. It was lovely & sunny, with just some light dew on the grass.

After setting up accommodation, i.e. tent & awnings etc, and have something to eat & a libation or 3, I was sooo knackered, I zonked out for a few hours.....

…… and was pleasantly surprised, when I came round @ 03:00, to find that the rain clouds had departed leaving a stunningly clear sky. Unfortunately, I hadn't unpacked the mounts & scopes etc., so it was just a simple eyeball of the sky, till the cold got to me & I went back for a few more hours kip.

Waking @ 09:00, the clouds have returned, as forecast, but it didn't start raining (quite heavily) till midday, but that gave me a chance for some shopping in NS, in the dry....

Currently setting up all the gear, apart from putting outside till the heavens clear...

All have a safe trip(s) & I'll see you all then...

Edited by Dr_Ju_ju
  • Like 6

Glad you had a relatively uneventful journey. 👍

• Like 1

Quick update on weather ------ its raining, but as Metcheck has been spot on so far, then I'd recommend those non-sissies using tents, to arrive Sunday mid morning, giving the ground time to dry out a bit....

My source of info https://www.metcheck.com/HOBBIES/astronomy_forecast.asp?zipcode=DG8&locationID=58742&lat=54.9&lon=-4.5  but Leslies phone app is more optimistic... 

But I'll keep you all posted 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Physopto said:

Pity it is only Apple.

Tbh Derren if it's as reliable as clear outside you're not missing anything 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Tbh Derren if it's as reliable as clear outside you're not missing anything 

Luddite

• Haha 1

You will be glad to hear I have run all catering equipment through the dishwasher, cleaned the box and stove.

Just checked the central-ness of secondary and collimated scope. Packed 90% of bag and accumulated other Astronomy related gubbins. 

I even remembered to put a towel in my bag 🙄

So all in all I am ahead of schedule. Think that means I am going to forget something 😇

• Haha 3

Just now, Uplooker said:

So all in all I am ahead of schedule. Think that means I am going to forget something 😇

As long as it's not your whiskey. 😀

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, philthy said:

I suspect that was the 90% bit, the other astro related gubbins was the crystal glass 

Edited by mapstar
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, philthy said:

Phil, really? How likely do you think that is? 😂 More likely to forget my sleeping bag or tent 😮

• Like 1
  • Haha 1