IC 1805 Heart Nebula - 18.5 hours of integration

SyedT

The heart nebula is one of my favourites in the night sky, and I took a lot of Ha subs using my GT81/1600MM-C last season. The GT81/1600MM-C have both now gone to good homes, as I managed to score a Tak FSQ85-EDX with plenty of add-ons including a QHY163M for a crazy (in a good way!) price. The moon was out in full force last night, so I got restricted to Ha once again, and thought I'd add some more Ha data. I'm having some focuser sag issues (star trailing in the corners which varies with the angle of the scope), so need to adjust that; also plagued with guiding issues which I’m trying to figure out, but overall happy with the results. Hoping to add a lot of OIII/SII data this season.

Acquisition details:

William Optics GT81 + 0.8x FF/FR & Takahashi FSQ-85EDX
ZWO ASI 1600MM-C & QHY163M
SXUSB Filter Wheel & QHYCFW-2
Baader 36mm/2” Ha 7nm & Chroma 36mm Ha 3nm filters
NEQ6 Pro & Avalon Linear Fast Reverse
Mount Hub Pro

GT81/1600MM-C: 130x300s + 75x120s = 800 min
FSQ85/163M: 62x300s = 310 min
Calibrated with flats, darks and bias frames
Integration + LP removal in APP, further processing in PI & PS

Total integration time: 18.5 hours

I tend to overprocess images, so I've tried to hold back this time. Any tips on improving very welcome!

Cheers

IC1805_Ha.png

15 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Nice one Syed. Although i'm a little confused as to why you would sell the 1600 and buy the 163.

Good point; I actually got the QHY163M as part of a full kit for a very good price. My 1600MM was an earlier model with no DDR memory buffer/heated sensor window. The QHY came with these features as standard so it was a no-brainer really!

4 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Bang on, for me. I like the nice high black point.

Olly

Cheers Olly! Hoping to do it justice by adding a good amount of OIII/SII.

51 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Probably an early version of the camera.

Spot on Adam. :) 

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Bang on, for me. I like the nice high black point.

Olly

Olly, would you recommend getting a feathertouch for the Tak? There's definite play in the focuser of the FSQ85 which I really didn't expect, but I read on SGL that you've pretty much dropped your endorsement of the 85. There are instructions regarding tightening up the focuser but the grub screws in there are pretty rigid.

5 minutes ago, SyedT said:

Olly, would you recommend getting a feathertouch for the Tak? There's definite play in the focuser of the FSQ85 which I really didn't expect, but I read on SGL that you've pretty much dropped your endorsement of the 85. There are instructions regarding tightening up the focuser but the grub screws in there are pretty rigid.

Personally I really would balk at spending more money on a Tak given their high initial cost. I know there can be backlash in the focusers but I would try to adjust that out and ask the dealer to advise on this. If you focus manually, as I do, backlash isn't such an issue. (Make the last movement 'uphill.')  It is if you run robotic focus. Essentially the Tak focuser is pretty good. It just needs adjusting, in my view.

The reason I've gone quiet on the FSQs is to do with too many of them turning out to be mis-collimated.

The FT is a great focuser, though. The best I've used.

Olly

On 25/11/2018 at 08:38, ollypenrice said:

Personally I really would balk at spending more money on a Tak given their high initial cost. I know there can be backlash in the focusers but I would try to adjust that out and ask the dealer to advise on this. If you focus manually, as I do, backlash isn't such an issue. (Make the last movement 'uphill.')  It is if you run robotic focus. Essentially the Tak focuser is pretty good. It just needs adjusting, in my view.

The reason I've gone quiet on the FSQs is to do with too many of them turning out to be mis-collimated.

The FT is a great focuser, though. The best I've used.

Olly

Thanks Olly, appreciate your insight. I guess I'll fiddle around with the focuser until I get it all tightened up. 

Archived