Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

17 hours on the California Nebula (NGC 1499)

tooth_dr

In one night I managed to gather almost 17 hours of H-alpha exposure on this target.

100 subs of 600s, Atik 383L+ and QHY9M, 7nm H-alpha filtration, EQ6, guided with finderscope/ASI120MM

This is a 2 piece mosaic, so about 8.5 hours per pane. 

Processed in APP per camera, then combined in APP, and further processing in PS.  I've been staring at the screen for about 4 hours now, so feedback welcomed please.

Thanks for looking.

Adam

NGC_1499_QHY9-ATIK-COMBINED.jpg

EF8CA36C-21B6-4C5A-81E9-CCFAB93996AE.jpeg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So much detail... amazing !!!   It jumps out of the page.  

I've never seen those foreground dark structures  ( lower centre ) in a picture of  NGC1499 before.

It's ironic to think that we do our utmost to avoid 'clouds' in order to photograph 'clouds'......?

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Oh my! what a cracking image. I'm sure it will come out nicely when it's fully done.

By the way, what scope did you use mate?

Thanks. I used a pair of ED80s with an Atik 383L+ on one and a QHY9M on the other. 

Looks very good to me, based on this view I think I would need a 16 panel mosaic to capture it all on my set up, and given I only do Ha around the moon, I think this might take quite a while....

And another thought looking at your image, wouldn't the Florida Nebula be a more apt name?

Really great Adam. So much signal! And 17 hrs in a single night, I think we're all jealous of your ability to do that! Lol. When this is finished it's going to look amazing ?

A word of caution though, if you decide to shoot Oiii on this, be aware that it is extremely faint. I think you would benefit a lot from upping your exposures from 10 mins to 15, or even better, 20 mins for that.

Just one comment - The 1st image looks great, but what happened with the 2nd one? On close inspection it appears there are lots of artefacts running throughout. Did you do NR followed by Sharpening? Or perhaps just a lot of Sharpening? I've been playing around with 'Neat Image' the last day or so, and i'm seriously impressed with it's NR abilities. I did a quick re-process of some old, limited, noisy Ha data last night and I was able to achieve a far better outcome with it than with anything else I had tried before. I'll try and post something up later tonight if I can.

3 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Really great Adam. So much signal! And 17 hrs in a single night, I think we're all jealous of your ability to do that! Lol. When this is finished it's going to look amazing ?

A word of caution though, if you decide to shoot Oiii on this, be aware that it is extremely faint. I think you would benefit a lot from upping your exposures from 10 mins to 15, or even better, 20 mins for that.

Just one comment - The 1st image looks great, but what happened with the 2nd one? On close inspection it appears there are lots of artefacts running throughout. Did you do NR followed by Sharpening? Or perhaps just a lot of Sharpening? I've been playing around with 'Neat Image' the last day or so, and i'm seriously impressed with it's NR abilities. I did a quick re-process of some old, limited, noisy Ha data last night and I was able to achieve a far better outcome with it than with anything else I had tried before. I'll try and post something up later tonight if I can.

Thanks for that tip.  I'll shoot the Oiii binned then 2x2.  I did shoot some 20mins SH2-248 subs the other night, most were ok, some wind affected ones, so I have the potential to do longer subs.

Yes - the second image.  I noticed all those artefacts too so I started again from scratch.  For that image here is what I did.  I calibrated all my subs - 50 from the ATIK and 50 from the QHY - using the correct calibration files in APP.  So I ended up with 100 calibrated lights.  I then registered them all togther, as a mosaic.  Then I integrated them all together.  I assumed because there were all taken with the same sensor, and of equivalent noise etc, then I could calibrate all of them one go.  Perhaps this IS possible, but it may need different settings.  This is most likely the source of the issues.  The better of the two images above - I calibrated each camera subs separately, to create two final images.  I then cleared APP and just loaded both those images, and integrated them together, with no MBB, no LNC, no rejections parameters etc.

12 minutes ago, Xiga said:

A word of caution though, if you decide to shoot Oiii on this, be aware that it is extremely faint.

I found more S11 than O111, got some comparison images somewhere :icon_rolleyes:

Will have a search for them

Dave

Yes, as you know I was imaging California on the same night.  I was doing 300 secs binned x 2 on both Sii and Oiii.  All I got on Oiii were stars, but there was reasonable signal in Sii enabling me to do a Bicolour image.

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

Yes, as you know I was imaging California on the same night.  I was doing 300 secs binned x 2 on both Sii and Oiii.  All I got on Oiii were stars, but there was reasonable signal in Sii enabling me to do a Bicolour image.

Carole 

Interesting, really good to hear this before I waste a night.

On 24/11/2018 at 08:34, Allinthehead said:

Wonderful image Adam, that's some going 17hrs in one night. 

Thanks Richard.  I did discard an hours worth too!

Based on @Xiga recent experiences with I ran this through Neat Image.

Here is the result:

NGC_1499_QHY9-ATIK-COMBINED_filtered.jpg

Archived