Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mirror Center Marker

I recently fiddled around with my new dob since first light is a ways off due to winter, I decided to collimate it using a collimation cap. This looks about as good as one can possible ask for without star testing it, my question is regarding the center marker on the primary. I am accustomed to seeing a ring as a center marker, but this one is new to me, why this particular shape? Is there a specific reason for this shape? For anyone curious, the anomalies around the secondary perimeter are the connection and wiring for the secondary heater, and the weird image on the mirror is my popcorn ceiling reflected lol.

6C22DCEB-8608-42E8-9623-24436224A4FC.jpeg

13 hours ago, Sunshine said:

I am accustomed to seeing a ring as a center marker, but this one is new to me, why this particular shape? Is there a specific reason for this shape?

As the person who came up with the particular center spot shape (called Hotspot), my main target was to improve  stacking the center marker reflections via Catseye XLKP autcollimator collimation tool. The tool will show several reflections of the center marker and some of these reflections will be 180 degree rotated. To stack the center marker reflection against its 180 degree rotated  reflection, the radioactive symbol shape (the Hotspot) works best.  Another  advantage is aligning the Hotspot  against  the ring of the Catseye cheshire.  See attachments.

The Hotspot center marker is irrelevant to the collimation cap.

Jason

post-17988-133877464512_thumb.jpgpost-5330-0-79234500-1355678092_thumb.jpgpost-17988-133877432188_thumb.jpgpost-17988-133877432197_thumb.jpg

Archived