Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
dan_uk

Great Barrier Island

Hello,

I have a trip planned to Australia/New Zealand in December and have a few days towards the end in Auckland and I am looking to use this time to travel to Great Barrier Island , one of three dark sky sanctuaries in the world.

As much as I would love to bring my own scope it's just not feasible with the kind of trip booked, I'm looking into Telescope hire as well as a company called Good Heavens who do sky tours. I feel like their prices are little high for what they offer and considering the location was hoping to find others who have ventured here who could offer advice?

Dan

Have you checked the phases of the moon?

New is 7th Dec, full a couple of weeks later.  This might impact how dark you are on the island.

I suggest a good pair of 8 x 40 binoculars.  Portable and useful in the daytime for seeing the native fauna.

Hope you have a great trip!

Paul

• Like 2

A while back the couple who run this place came to have lunch with us. http://www.stargazersbb.com/

It doesn't, perhaps, fit your needs but I'll post it anyway. They were extremely charming people, that I can say for sure.

Olly

Thanks for the advice, I had actually looked into that B&B but was hoping to make it over to the Great Barrier island for other reasons. My trip isn't primarily for astronomy so was unable to plan my dates for that purpose so well however I believe moon rise is fairly late at this time thankfully.

I actually have a pair of 15x50 Canon IS on the way to day, but was hoping to see a bit more detail with a large instrument whilst I am there.

Will probably go ahead and book a tour with https://goodheavens.co.nz/ as they have a 8" Dob they take out for evenings.

On 21/11/2018 at 10:52, dan_uk said:

have a pair of 15x50 Canon IS on the way to day

I have these as my ultra portable astro optics.  No tripod needed.  There are many bright southern DSOs to be seen with them.