Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best Tripod for Star Adventurer?

I'm looking at upgrading my manfrotto tripod to  something far sturdier and taller.

I'm 6f3" so ideally having a tall tripod makes life easier as long as it doesn't get blown about by the wind. 

I've heard the eq6 is a good shout but perhaps a little on the short side, but or the manfrotto 055 potentially still wobbly, or vixen porta ii. 

I'd like to spend less than £60, but is that realistic? 

What do you use or recommend? 

Thanks 

Leon 

Look for a good condition, used Bogen (Manfrotto) 3068/3268 (117/117B), 3058/3258 (161/161B) or 3051/3251 (058/058B) tripod.  All are very sturdy and able to support 40+ pounds and can be extended high enough for a 6+ footer to use comfortably.  I picked one up from Craigslist and another from ebay for $100 to $150 each.

I like the adjustable leg spreaders so I can get them down lower for seated usage.  The geared column is nice to raise the eyepiece upward when viewing near zenith.

I highly recommend vibration suppression pads because these tripods being all metal vibrate after touching the scope or mount without some sort of dampener.  I use pads cut from new old stock Sorbothane insoles from the 80s/90s that I picked up for cheap on ebay.

On 20 November 2018 at 13:00, Davey-T said:

I'm using one of these ATM, quite high and solid, you may find a second hand one for under £60.00

Dave

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html

Have had one these for years, very stable and tall. Locking knobs a bit fiddly though and the QR plate release knob eventually broke, but is still manageable.

1 hour ago, Ceramus said:

Have had one these for years, very stable and tall. Locking knobs a bit fiddly though and the QR plate release knob eventually broke, but is still manageable.

You remove the top and only use the legs for the SWSA.

Dave

5 hours ago, Ceramus said:

I'll be using the tripod for a newly-acquired AZ-GTi head, so top comes off but will need to get a 1/4" female to 3/4" male thread adaptor in order to screw the AZ-GTi on to the tripod legs.

I couldn't find the load spec for that tripod.  It looks to be in the sub-20 pound range.  If so, what is the maximum weight of the head, scope, diagonal, and eyepiece you'll be using?  My dual scope alt-az setup comes in at around 30 pounds without the tripod.  My Manfrotto 055 wasn't up to the task of handling that much weight with a 20 pound rating, thus my move up to the ones I listed above.

On 23 November 2018 at 21:37, Louis D said:

I couldn't find the load spec for that tripod.  It looks to be in the sub-20 pound range.  If so, what is the maximum weight of the head, scope, diagonal, and eyepiece you'll be using?  My dual scope alt-az setup comes in at around 30 pounds without the tripod.  My Manfrotto 055 wasn't up to the task of handling that much weight with a 20 pound rating, thus my move up to the ones I listed above.

The Az Gti head is about 1.8 kg with batteries and the Heritage 130p around 3.5 with eyepiece, so I think within load capacity of the tripod if not fully extended. Will only be used visually.

Archived