Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

I'm looking at upgrading my manfrotto tripod to  something far sturdier and taller.

I'm 6f3" so ideally having a tall tripod makes life easier as long as it doesn't get blown about by the wind. 

I've heard the eq6 is a good shout but perhaps a little on the short side, but or the manfrotto 055 potentially still wobbly, or vixen porta ii. 

I'd like to spend less than £60, but is that realistic? 

What do you use or recommend? 

Thanks 

Leon 

Edited by Leon-Fleet

Look for a good condition, used Bogen (Manfrotto) 3068/3268 (117/117B), 3058/3258 (161/161B) or 3051/3251 (058/058B) tripod.  All are very sturdy and able to support 40+ pounds and can be extended high enough for a 6+ footer to use comfortably.  I picked one up from Craigslist and another from ebay for $100 to $150 each.

I like the adjustable leg spreaders so I can get them down lower for seated usage.  The geared column is nice to raise the eyepiece upward when viewing near zenith.

I highly recommend vibration suppression pads because these tripods being all metal vibrate after touching the scope or mount without some sort of dampener.  I use pads cut from new old stock Sorbothane insoles from the 80s/90s that I picked up for cheap on ebay.

On 20 November 2018 at 13:00, Davey-T said:

I'm using one of these ATM, quite high and solid, you may find a second hand one for under £60.00

Dave

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/horizon-8115-2-way-heavy-duty-tripod.html

Have had one these for years, very stable and tall. Locking knobs a bit fiddly though and the QR plate release knob eventually broke, but is still manageable.

1 hour ago, Ceramus said:

Have had one these for years, very stable and tall. Locking knobs a bit fiddly though and the QR plate release knob eventually broke, but is still manageable.

You remove the top and only use the legs for the SWSA.

Dave

I'll be using the tripod for a newly-acquired AZ-GTi head, so top comes off but will need to get a 1/4" female to 3/4" male thread adaptor in order to screw the AZ-GTi on to the tripod legs.

5 hours ago, Ceramus said:

I'll be using the tripod for a newly-acquired AZ-GTi head, so top comes off but will need to get a 1/4" female to 3/4" male thread adaptor in order to screw the AZ-GTi on to the tripod legs.

I couldn't find the load spec for that tripod.  It looks to be in the sub-20 pound range.  If so, what is the maximum weight of the head, scope, diagonal, and eyepiece you'll be using?  My dual scope alt-az setup comes in at around 30 pounds without the tripod.  My Manfrotto 055 wasn't up to the task of handling that much weight with a 20 pound rating, thus my move up to the ones I listed above.

On 23 November 2018 at 21:37, Louis D said:

I couldn't find the load spec for that tripod.  It looks to be in the sub-20 pound range.  If so, what is the maximum weight of the head, scope, diagonal, and eyepiece you'll be using?  My dual scope alt-az setup comes in at around 30 pounds without the tripod.  My Manfrotto 055 wasn't up to the task of handling that much weight with a 20 pound rating, thus my move up to the ones I listed above.

The Az Gti head is about 1.8 kg with batteries and the Heritage 130p around 3.5 with eyepiece, so I think within load capacity of the tripod if not fully extended. Will only be used visually.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now