SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NEW USB to Serial Cables for Handset Updates

FLO

You can now plug Sky-Watcher and Celestron handsets directly into a PC for firmware updates (no need for a USB to Serial RS-232 Cable) ? 

Lynx Astro FTDI USB to Serial Adapter for Sky-Watcher Handsets

Lynx Astro FTDI USB to Serial Adapter for Celestron Handsets

Like Lynx Astro EQDIR cables, these new serial cables use the FTDI 232R chipset so they work reliably across all versions of Windows. And, because each cable has a unique chipset ID, each time you unplug the cable then plug it back into the same computer, even if on a different physical USB port, the COM port number remains the same. 

lynxastro_ftdi_usb_serial_rj11_5m_new.jp

Can you please clarify whether this works with all Celestron HCs given that there are two types of Celestron HC port? Do you have to specify port type when ordering? 

The older versions require a cable with inclusive serial to USB adapter (which presumably this cable replaces?). However, the newer HCs simply require a mini-USB to USB cable as the serial to USB adapter is instead built into the handset. Presumably this new cable doesn't work with the later version given it requires a mini-USB plug and already has an internal adapter? 

6 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

Can you please clarify whether this works with all Celestron HCs given that there are two types of Celestron HC port? Do you have to specify port type when ordering? 

The older versions require a cable with inclusive serial to USB adapter (which presumably this cable replaces?). However, the newer HCs simply require a mini-USB to USB cable as the serial to USB adapter is instead built into the handset. Presumably this new cable doesn't work with the later version given it requires a mini-USB plug and already has an internal adapter? 

Noah4x4 this is for the older hand controls as the new version simple use mini usb to usb2 as you mention. 

Agreed. That's why I asked. 

Celestron no longer retail its own cable, and there are a myriad of confusing generic PL2303 options. It is welcome that a dedicated astro product has appeared to assist buyers choose the correct one. Such cables are  necessary to update firmware via older HCs (if not WiFi enabled) and/or use (say) Nexremote and (given Ken82's question) also "PHD etc etc" (which I don't use), Stellarium etc. 

However, the manufacturer needs to make it clear that it is only relevant to older style Celestron HC else those seeking solutions in respect of more recent models might purchase the wrong version, which is counterproductive. 

5 hours ago, Ken82 said:

Noah4x4 this is for the older hand controls as the new version simple use mini usb to usb2 as you mention. 

What he said ^ ?

We don’t think anyone with the new-style handset will order one but if they do we’ll happily add some text to the product description. 

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody successfully used this new serial/usb cable from FLO? (Skywatcher SynScan V4 hand control version)

I received one this morning but it seems to be useless. I have tried to use two different PCs but neither thinks anything is connected when you plug in this fancy lead. Seems I will have to return it on Monday unless anyone can offer devine inspiration!

The FLO website links to a driver website & I have downloaded and run the .exe on that site but still when I connect the USB nothing happens - I am expecting Windows 10 to “plug and play” and tell me to wait while it finds a driver but nothing :(

Any help appreciated?

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Grant,

Posting a message on here worked a treat - I have it "updating" right now...

I opened Device Manager before plugging the lead in, then watched what changed when I plugged it in

- USB Serial Port (COM3)

- USB Serial Converter

have both appeared.

It now looks like the issue is with the SkyWatcher "SynScan Firmware Loader Ver 3.3" program, which has an "Auto-detect COM Port" checkbox - this auto-detect does not appear to work!

Once I unchecked the "Auto-detect COM Port" and manually selected "COM3" from the list of ports then the connection to the handset was established...

I will report back once the update concludes...  

... the lengthy update has now completed and I am now on "Hardware 4.16 Firmware 4.39 Database 4.02" :)

Thanks.

Alan

6 hours ago, alanjgreen said:

Hi Grant,

Posting a message on here worked a treat - I have it "updating" right now...

I opened Device Manager before plugging the lead in, then watched what changed when I plugged it in

- USB Serial Port (COM3)

- USB Serial Converter

have both appeared.

It now looks like the issue is with the SkyWatcher "SynScan Firmware Loader Ver 3.3" program, which has an "Auto-detect COM Port" checkbox - this auto-detect does not appear to work!

Once I unchecked the "Auto-detect COM Port" and manually selected "COM3" from the list of ports then the connection to the handset was established...

I will report back once the update concludes...  

... the lengthy update has now completed and I am now on "Hardware 4.16 Firmware 4.39 Database 4.02" :)

Thanks.

Alan

I never trust the auto-detect com port on these things - for whatever reason, they never seem to work for me or pick the correct com port!

Archived