Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Callibration Disaster. (DSS)

Hi,

I got a set of test subs a couple of nights ago to check everything was functioning after mount upgrade. Everything seems fine except DSS. For some reason it gives me images with horrible backgrounds, something like this:

unknown.png?width=1442&height=573

A fellow AP-er, who uses PixInsight not DSS ran through my biases and darks to see what was going on, and found that the master dark does absolutely nothing, (and when force subtracted makes holes in the image): (left is "calibrated")

unknown.png
and the master bias is just random noise from DSS, compared to the bias he got when he ran my bias frames though PI:

unknown.png

Does anyone know what is going on? Is this the best that DSS can do? Does this mean I will have to get PI? ? ?Yet I find it hard to believe that everyone using DSS is suffering from ridiculous master frames?

image.png.70f3665ced85661c1971b56ec1e183e8.png

image.png.7a40b1fb00a124d68cb58f6c86b50cc4.png

The master bias was a stack of 20 frames, as was the master dark. I would have tried using the one from PI in the DSS stack but of course the program makes masters to take up file space but you cant actually use them. ?‍♂️

John

Hmmm, cannot answer...

but interesting....

Usually, DSS did quite a nice job with my CANON... Which camera you were using?

For example, I found that ASI1600 bias files should be created at around 0.3s exposure as shorter ones produced a completely random result.

P.S. 

There is another free software for stacking, - ASTAP.

Does the job more or less the same as DSS, maybe it will help

Hi,

I've worked systematically through the process again, and found a couple of things.

1. DSS wasn't the latest version, so I reinstalled just to make sure.

2. The flats were the wrong ISO. 

So I took a fresh set of flats and 100 biases and the issue seems to be resolved, mostly. ? Still not amazing, but I'll carry on working through the tips here and hopefully get it better quality. Thanks for all the advice! ? :) 

John

Archived