Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Crab Nebula (also known as M1, NGC 1952 or Taurus A). This is quite an improvement on the last attempt at imaging M1 about two years ago. This time it was possible to bring out some of the filaments that make this object so interesting - this despite using a much shorter focal length making the object appear significantly smaller. The image is cropped rather radically to show more details in the nebula so the stars appear bigger than I would prefer, but on the original they look fine. 

040 x 300 second exposures at Unity Gain (139) cooled to -20°C
050 x dark frames
040 x flat frames
100 x bias frames
Binning 1x1
Total integration time = 3 hours and 20 minutes

Captured with APT
Guided with PHD2
Processed in Nebulosity, Fitsworks, and Photoshop 

Equipment
Telescope: Sky-Watcher Explorer-150PDS
Mount: Skywatcher EQ5
Guide Scope: Orion 50mm Mini
Guiding Camera: ZWO ASI120MC
Imaging Camera:  ZWO ASI1600MC Pro
Baader Mark-III MPCC Coma Corrector
Light pollution filter

M1_cropped.jpg

That's the mark of a good image when it can stand up to a serious crop...like yours.  I had to crop mine too to see it well--and I was shooting at 1000mm.  I think I will use the C11Edge and really try and get this thing caught.  Very inspirational...thank you!

Rodd

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

That's the mark of a good image when it can stand up to a serious crop...like yours.  I had to crop mine too to see it well--and I was shooting at 1000mm.  I think I will use the C11Edge and really try and get this thing caught.  Very inspirational...thank you!

Rodd

Cheers Rodd,

I'm always amazed when I crop an image and it still looks OK. I was never able to do that with the 127 Mak and a DSLR. When I saw how small the object was going to be in the frame I nearly went on to another target but I'm so glad I stuck with it. Good luck with your capture of M1 ?

Archived