stargazine_ep46_banner.thumb.jpg.34e6cdd5a0856b006a0b47c6373eb9b1.jpg

So, have had the Starwatcher Panaview 32mm 2" eyepiece recommended to me (I use a 10" Dob), just wondered if anyone has any feedback about this eyepiece.

Looks to me like good reviews all round on websites, decent price too.

Am 51, so looking for a 32mm EP that is going to be good for my "aging" eyesight (Don't feel like it's aging BTW, just been told that over 40-45 I have to consider when buying an EP).

Thanks in advance for any help :) 

Hi rhw, yes, the SW Panaview 32mm is a stunning ep in both my scopes, there are two things going for it, the price is one as you say, the second is its relative lightness compared to other 2" eps, probably less lenses (Erfle design) than the average 68/70º (ExSc being a case in point), the on-axis view is incredible and will blow you away.  It is the first upgrade I ever bought.  As regards age, I am 68 with generally good eyesight, so should be OK for a youngster like you!

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1
Just now, rwilkey said:

Hi rhw, yes, the SW Panaview 32mm is a stunning ep in both my scopes, there are two things going for it, the price is one as you say, the second is it's relative lightness compared to other 2" eps, probably less lenses (Erfle design) than the average 68/70º (ExSc being a case in point), the on-axis view is incredible and will blow you away.  It is the first upgrade I ever bought.  As regards age, I am 68 with generally good eyesight, so should be OK for you.

Fantastic, thanks for your comments. I think I'll be ordering one after work :) 

• Like 1

May I ask what the panaview was recommended for.........??

What I mean is, if one already has an extensive eyepiece collection then adding a 32mm will do no harm at all.  If on the other hand this is ones first eyepiece purchase I would be hesitant to recommend that you were to start your eyepiece collection off with  a "big wide".

These "big wides" are nice to own but TBH are of limited observational use in a 10" Dob. What I mean is they show only one or two objects better than more usual focal lengths. 99% of DSO's will look better and show more detail through other oculars. 
My 31mm 82˚ eyepiece gets almost zero use in my 10" Dob for exactly the reasons I state above. I find a 20mm 82˚ is a far better alternative on a majority of occasions.  The 31mm offers to low a mag and a majority of objects become too small to observe successfully.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

What I mean is, if one already has an extensive eyepiece collection then adding a 32mm will do no harm at all.  If on the other hand this is ones first eyepiece purchase I would be hesitant to recommend that you were to start your eyepiece collection off with  a "big wide".

These "big wides" are nice to own but TBH are of limited observational use in a 10" Dob. What I mean is they show only one or two objects better than more usual focal lengths. 99% of DSO's will look better and show more detail through other oculars. 
My 31mm 82˚ eyepiece gets almost zero use in my 10" Dob for exactly the reasons I state above. I find a 20mm 82˚ is a far better alternative on a majority of occasions.  The 31mm offers to low a mag and a majority of objects become too small to observe successfully.

It is indeed to be added to a growing eyepiece collection (The wife doesn't know about the growing part and thinks all my EPs cost "about twenty quid" :) :) )

I tend to use my Baader Hyperion zoom a great deal. The 32mm will be used for low powered sky sweeping really.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, rhw1967 said:

It is indeed to be added to a growing eyepiece collection (The wife doesn't know about the growing part and thinks all my EPs cost "about twenty quid" :) :) )

I tend to use my Baader Hyperion zoom a great deal. The 32mm will be used for low powered sky sweeping really.

No worries then buddy. Have fun with it :thumbright:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, swamp thing said:

Hi Steve, I have to admit that I am a low power junkie, I like sweeping views of the sky and the stars, my Panaview has been usurped by the ExSc 30mm and the TV Nag 31mm, but I love and appreciate all three.  My excuse is that I have too much time on my hands since I retired eight years ago haha!

• Like 1
On 19/11/2018 at 14:35, rhw1967 said:

The 32mm will be used for low powered sky sweeping really.

I've never tried a 10" but on my 8" Skyliner, the Panaview works well for low power sweeping and as a finder ep.
I like to catch the moon with it too! The Moon does look remarkably small, given the field of view, floating in a Sea of space.

• Like 1

There is also the 38mm SWP? I'm assuming your scope will be around f/4.9 (f/5) the 32mm SWP will supply a little less exit pupil at about 6.53mm under the SWP38mm giving about 7.7mm.

Choosing an exit close to the entry size, says the 32mm with your age should be the one to consider. Older eyes may not benefit from  using the  38mm with its  7.6 mm exit.

• Like 1