Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow! Difference in custom pier costs!!

RayD

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 14:30, RayD said:

Thanks, Steve. 

Yes there is only so much slewing and poking you can do on a desk before even a nice mount like this becomes boring!!  I'm really excited to get it working in anger and will definitely post the results.

I am also looking forward to your first light and report on this mount Ray. I have just installed one aswell, but have only got my little WO Star 71 on it at the moment. I am looking into what main scope to put on it now, I had a Cpc 1100 on a wedge before this.

Best regards and good luck with your new mount,

Bob.

10 minutes ago, bob-c said:

I am also looking forward to your first light and report on this mount Ray. I have just installed one aswell, but have only got my little WO Star 71 on it at the moment. I am looking into what main scope to put on it now, I had a Cpc 1100 on a wedge before this.

Best regards and good luck with your new mount,

Bob.

Cheers, Bob.

I bet the Star71 looks totally lost!  I'm probably going to have the FSQ106 and C8 on mine, which it will handle with ease I'm sure.

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Cheers, Bob.

I bet the Star71 looks totally lost!  I'm probably going to have the FSQ106 and C8 on mine, which it will handle with ease I'm sure.

Yes it is Ray,

Just like a baby in Mothers arms.. no counter weights small enough so have had to tape nuts and bolts to shaft to get balance.. ..for now.

Bob.

• 2 years later...
On 19/11/2018 at 10:09, RayD said:

When I built my UK observatory I had a custom pier made by a local fabricator to my exact specifications to mount my Mesu200.  I was more than happy with it, and thought the £450 cost was about right when looking at the costs of the commercially available items of similar build.

I need a new pier in Spain for my CEM120, so used the same drawings with a change to the top plate and went to the local fabricator in my village who showed me all the metal to be used to make sure we were absolutely certain it was as I wanted.  Received the quote yesterday...........€130!

Will be ready in a week.  Very happy ?

Apologies on resurrecting this thread from the past!!

I am in the process of setting up a remote Obs in Egypt. Could you please share details of your piers so that I can provide them to a local metals work shop in Cairo?

Many thanks