Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

RayD

Wow! Difference in custom pier costs!!

Recommended Posts

When I built my UK observatory I had a custom pier made by a local fabricator to my exact specifications to mount my Mesu200.  I was more than happy with it, and thought the £450 cost was about right when looking at the costs of the commercially available items of similar build.

I need a new pier in Spain for my CEM120, so used the same drawings with a change to the top plate and went to the local fabricator in my village who showed me all the metal to be used to make sure we were absolutely certain it was as I wanted.  Received the quote yesterday...........€130!

Will be ready in a week.  Very happy ?

Edited by RayD
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has s/he missed off a zero?!

Maybe being nice to persuade you to vote Remain in the next referendum ;)

Seriously, that's a great price. Am very envious, would love my own observatory but had to compromise with Mrs Goat and we got a summerhouse. It's better than the open air at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Has s/he missed off a zero?!

Maybe being nice to persuade you to vote Remain in the next referendum ;)

Seriously, that's a great price. Am very envious, would love my own observatory but had to compromise with Mrs Goat and we got a summerhouse. It's better than the open air at least.

? I'm not even sure they know there has been one.

They are really good and have made all sorts for me such as railings and raja's (window guards) etc.  I must admit I was expecting €250 or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RayD said:

Received the quote yesterday...........€130!

Will be ready in a week.  Very happy ?

That will be about £450 next week if the euro drops a bit more ???

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My locals do stuff cheaper too than you’d expect. You almost feel bad for them! A small gesture of appreciation like wine or biscuits can go down well should you wish to return for more business

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

My locals do stuff cheaper too than you’d expect. You almost feel bad for them! A small gesture of appreciation like wine or biscuits can go down well should you wish to return for more business

The odd thing in the local villages is that tipping is almost frowned upon.  If there is a service or product supplied at a price and all is as expected, if you tip it can be seen as you inferring you are somehow better than them.  

If you get a table service in a bar you can tip as that isn't included.

All very odd and hard to get used to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A friend of mine had it made for £20 here in the UK.

I'm after this friend to be my BEST FRIEND now :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, souls33k3r said:

A friend of mine had it made for £20 here in the UK.

I'm after this friend to be my BEST FRIEND now :D

 

£20!!

Crikey, I couldn't buy the materials for the top and bottom plates for that.  I assume it was done as a bit of a 'favour'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RayD said:

£20!!

Crikey, I couldn't buy the materials for the top and bottom plates for that.  I assume it was done as a bit of a 'favour'.

I suppose. The fabricator got him a steel pipe for nothing and did the metal work for only that price.

It's not fancy or anything, just works.

Cheap as chips as they say. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DAVE AMENDALL said:

I take it at that price the quote was in Spain and not the UK?..............Dave

Yes local village fabricator in Spain, Dave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine cost about £90 for the materials (6 foot long piece of 9" diameter tube) and a few beers for the welding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes me realise how lucky I am my neighbour runs a steel fabrication business he made me a mount

For the steel cost of £25 and a couple of spare top plates drilled with bolt holes  it was so heavy he had to

Lift in in place for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was lucky in that my pier was free and made to my drawing.

The adaptor raw material I bought and my friend made the adaptor to my drawing.

Suppose I owe some favours!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pier cost me just for aggregate and cement to make concrete plus threaded rods and some rebar from local builders merchants.  A days hard work and some electricity for the cement mixer.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I didn't anticipate a competition on who's get the cheapest pier.  I was just noting the difference in cost for the same custom made pier in the UK and Spain, not necessarily that it was the cheapest pier in Europe.

I'm just waiting for someone to come along who got paid to let someone make a pier for them ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RayD said:

I must admit I didn't anticipate a competition on who's get the cheapest pier.  I was just noting the difference in cost for the same custom made pier in the UK and Spain, not necessarily that it was the cheapest pier in Europe.

I'm just waiting for someone to come along who got paid to let someone make a pier for them ?

Are you pitching for a potential business mate? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Are you pitching for a potential business mate? ;)

Lol looking at this thread anything over £50 is expensive anyway, so probably not ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RayD said:

Lol looking at this thread anything over £50 is expensive anyway, so probably not ?

Have you not heard that start small and aim high ... ok for you i'll do £50.01 ... do we have a deal? *spits on his hand and offers for a shake* :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Do they export?

Cheers,
Steve

You know if I thought there was a market here, Steve, I would probably get 100 made and have a range of pier tops.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2018 at 12:22, Gina said:

My pier cost me just for aggregate and cement to make concrete plus threaded rods and some rebar from local builders merchants.  A days hard work and some electricity for the cement mixer.

Looking back, I wish I had saved myself the £130 for the 10" steel tube that I then filled with cement. Instead, I should have got a cardboard tube and poured cement into that instead. Would have worked just as well. Once painted, no one would have noticed!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update.

Well the pier is made and sitting in my living room in Spain awaiting my arrival.  From what I can see on the cameras, and from what the friend who dropped it off for me says, it looks top drawer and really well made.

Can't wait to get there and get the CEM120 mounted on it now.  Hoorah ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with the CEM120 Ray. Can't wait for your initial test results and, of course, the first light.

Steve

Edited by sloz1664

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Good luck with the CEM120 Ray. Can't wait for your initial test results and, of course, the first light.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. 

Yes there is only so much slewing and poking you can do on a desk before even a nice mount like this becomes boring!!  I'm really excited to get it working in anger and will definitely post the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.