Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow! Difference in custom pier costs!!

RayD

When I built my UK observatory I had a custom pier made by a local fabricator to my exact specifications to mount my Mesu200.  I was more than happy with it, and thought the £450 cost was about right when looking at the costs of the commercially available items of similar build.

I need a new pier in Spain for my CEM120, so used the same drawings with a change to the top plate and went to the local fabricator in my village who showed me all the metal to be used to make sure we were absolutely certain it was as I wanted.  Received the quote yesterday...........€130!

Will be ready in a week.  Very happy ?

Edited by RayD
  • Like 6

Has s/he missed off a zero?!

Maybe being nice to persuade you to vote Remain in the next referendum ;)

Seriously, that's a great price. Am very envious, would love my own observatory but had to compromise with Mrs Goat and we got a summerhouse. It's better than the open air at least.

2 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Has s/he missed off a zero?!

Maybe being nice to persuade you to vote Remain in the next referendum ;)

Seriously, that's a great price. Am very envious, would love my own observatory but had to compromise with Mrs Goat and we got a summerhouse. It's better than the open air at least.

? I'm not even sure they know there has been one.

They are really good and have made all sorts for me such as railings and raja's (window guards) etc.  I must admit I was expecting €250 or so.

4 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

My locals do stuff cheaper too than you’d expect. You almost feel bad for them! A small gesture of appreciation like wine or biscuits can go down well should you wish to return for more business

The odd thing in the local villages is that tipping is almost frowned upon.  If there is a service or product supplied at a price and all is as expected, if you tip it can be seen as you inferring you are somehow better than them.  

If you get a table service in a bar you can tip as that isn't included.

All very odd and hard to get used to.

• Like 1

Just now, souls33k3r said:

A friend of mine had it made for £20 here in the UK.

I'm after this friend to be my BEST FRIEND now :D

£20!!

Crikey, I couldn't buy the materials for the top and bottom plates for that.  I assume it was done as a bit of a 'favour'.

10 minutes ago, RayD said:

£20!!

Crikey, I couldn't buy the materials for the top and bottom plates for that.  I assume it was done as a bit of a 'favour'.

I suppose. The fabricator got him a steel pipe for nothing and did the metal work for only that price.

It's not fancy or anything, just works.

Cheap as chips as they say. 

• Like 1

Makes me realise how lucky I am my neighbour runs a steel fabrication business he made me a mount

For the steel cost of £25 and a couple of spare top plates drilled with bolt holes  it was so heavy he had to

Lift in in place for me.

My pier cost me just for aggregate and cement to make concrete plus threaded rods and some rebar from local builders merchants.  A days hard work and some electricity for the cement mixer.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

I must admit I didn't anticipate a competition on who's get the cheapest pier.  I was just noting the difference in cost for the same custom made pier in the UK and Spain, not necessarily that it was the cheapest pier in Europe.

I'm just waiting for someone to come along who got paid to let someone make a pier for them ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, RayD said:

I must admit I didn't anticipate a competition on who's get the cheapest pier.  I was just noting the difference in cost for the same custom made pier in the UK and Spain, not necessarily that it was the cheapest pier in Europe.

I'm just waiting for someone to come along who got paid to let someone make a pier for them ?

Are you pitching for a potential business mate? ;)

On 20/11/2018 at 12:22, Gina said:

My pier cost me just for aggregate and cement to make concrete plus threaded rods and some rebar from local builders merchants.  A days hard work and some electricity for the cement mixer.

Looking back, I wish I had saved myself the £130 for the 10" steel tube that I then filled with cement. Instead, I should have got a cardboard tube and poured cement into that instead. Would have worked just as well. Once painted, no one would have noticed!

• Like 1

Update.

Well the pier is made and sitting in my living room in Spain awaiting my arrival.  From what I can see on the cameras, and from what the friend who dropped it off for me says, it looks top drawer and really well made.

Can't wait to get there and get the CEM120 mounted on it now.  Hoorah ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Good luck with the CEM120 Ray. Can't wait for your initial test results and, of course, the first light.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. 

Yes there is only so much slewing and poking you can do on a desk before even a nice mount like this becomes boring!!  I'm really excited to get it working in anger and will definitely post the results.