Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

SiriusB76

Hello from Maidstone, UK

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I’m not really new to this amazing hobby, but feel this would be a great place to get some advice and tips, look at other members awesome pics and have the odd rant about the awful cloudy skies of the UK?

I have a Celestron Astromaster 130eq and a Coronado PST. Hopefully some of you guys can kindly help me get the best out of my basic setup lol.

Welcome on board from another Maidstoneite :thumbright:

I'm sure all your questions will be answered.

Hi Jon, it’s nice to know there’s someone fairly local with the same hobby. I can imagine you have darker skies in Hadlow, compared to here Maidstone too.

Just now, newbie alert said:

I'm in Ashford myself..

Nice to hear of a fellow Kentish man

Sorry but I’m a Kentish lass, but nice all the same, to hear from a fellow Kentish man ?

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, SiriusB76 said:

Hi Jon, it’s nice to know there’s someone fairly local with the same hobby. I can imagine you have darker skies in Hadlow, compared to here Maidstone too.

Probably a bit better, got Tonbridge to the south and Maidstone to the north, need to head further south to get better skies.

31 minutes ago, SiriusB76 said:

Wow someone from Maidstone, that makes me happy ? 

Yes not many of us here!  Nice to have someone else local.

17 minutes ago, SiriusB76 said:

Sorry but I’m a Kentish lass, but nice all the same, to hear from a fellow Kentish man ?

Assuming that the two local pubs are correctly named I am a Man of Kent

• Like 1

Welcome. I’m too far away to pick up on the local stuff written above but it seems you are already enjoying both the hobby and the forum. 

Have fun.

Hi Sirius, welcome to the forum.

Good stargazing equipment you have there - should last you a while ?

Hi and welcome to SGL from Lowestoft on the Suffolk Coast. I was born and attended school in Maidstone 'many Moons ago'.  I too am a 'Man of Kent rather than a 'Kentish Man' - I seem to remember it is governed by - on which side of the River Medway you were born .  Weather and light pollution permitting, enjoy your Astronomy SiriusB76 !.

George in Lowestoft currently recovering from a long and largely unsuccessful meteor imaging session.

Welcome from Land Down Under

Started out with a Coronado PST, and recently upgraded to Solarmax 11, which goes on my existing EQ5 mount

John 

Hello and welcome from an exile Man of Kent. Mis spent my youth in the area surrounding East Malling then, as I grew up and started to wander, spent many a happy hour in Maidstone. Joined the Army and now find myself on the other side of London.

Welcome from another Kentish Lass, but I am from Bromley Kent, which the government these days likes to call Greater London.  Well I've certainly got the London Light pollution.  Not so many of us females around though.

Carole 

Hi and welcome Maid of Kent, I am an occasional visiter to the Medway towns just north of you, where my wife's family come from (Hoo St Werburgh to be precise), hope you enjoy the forum!