Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

EssexMigrant

What happened to the Vintage group?

32 minutes ago, AndyH said:

Web Archive .org has a copy of the 'Classic & Vintage Scopes' group . Posted a link below, to alay any fears of reality or memory episodes for PhilJ ;D

http://web.archive.org/web/20111118175739/http://stargazerslounge.com/group.php?cat=1

Cheers, Andy

Well done Andy! I remember you now, so perhaps I’m not as senile as I thought I was!

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, youve saved my sanity

That was my Swift 60mm, was it you that bought it off me? if so have you still got it?

Edited by philj
  • Like 1

I think it was a change of forum software or similar, if my memory is correct, that the pages or groups, dissapeared? 

Sadly archive.org is limited, so I don't think you can go deeper into the old group pages.

I was contacted by the admin of the day to say they were rehashing the forum and the social groups and the classic and vintage would have to go but we could still post in the equipment section. It was quite popular and active with about 40 odd members if I remember rightly (now I know I'm not imagining things I can try and recall things with a little more confidence ? ).

Edited by philj

4 minutes ago, AndyH said:

............... Sadly archive.org is limited, so I don't think you can go deeper into the old group pages.

Although if you go back to about 2010-ish you can see the thread topics under discussion back in ye olde days

14 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Seems the vintage group is stuck in the past...

...I'll get my coat...

.......... that deserves a .. :rimshot:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, philj said:

Thanks Andy, youve saved my sanity

That was my Swift 60mm, was it you that bought it off me? if so have you still got it?

annnnnnnd your memory is borked again. Hehe, just kidding, but no, wasn't me. I do still have my lovely Carton 60/1000 with CrawMach crayford focuser. Wonderful grab-n-go scope. Gets lots of use.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AndyH said:

annnnnnnd your memory is borked again. Hehe, just kidding, but no, wasn't me. I do still have my lovely Carton 60/1000 with CrawMach crayford focuser. Wonderful grab-n-go scope. Gets lots of use.

Ahh yes, I remember you going for the Crawmach, or do I??????

23 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I think the main advantage of a separate section for vintage equipment would be ease of access. Most telescope owners have a level of interest regarding all examples in the past but there might not be enough "traffic" for an individual section. I have a 200 year old 3" refractor, a self built 5" F15 triplet refractor with a 100 year old objective, a vintage C8 and a couple of vintage Astrosystems Newtonians. I'm actually vintage myself so have more than just a vested interest.   ?

Yes Peter, it has to be admitted, while you look a lot younger than your years, you are in fact a contemporary of some of this ancient equipment :smile:.  Mind you, I have nothing to laugh about as both my daughters don't believe you are older than me - hence your nick name in our house - Peter Pan ?.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Perhaps vintage scope enthusiasts prefer to communicate by letter?

What would be a date to qualify as 'vintage'? My Dark Star is only about 25 years old, but is way more primitive than 'modern' dobs.

Yes, I expect you are quite correct, and no doubt these venerable members are still putting Penny Blacks on their letters  :smile:.

• Haha 1

Nah, pigeon post here.

It was for classic, vintage and antique scopes. Antique and vintage is easy to define but ckassic always gets a good discussion as to what scopes are defined as classics ?

I remember the vintage group. It was at a time when there were several groups for different types of scope. I set up and ran the Dob Mob group which was very lively, and there were groups for macs, fracs, sct's, etc, and even some specific sized scopes - all were very active.

I was a mod at the time and iirc a discussion about all the groups resulted in the feeling that scope groups took too much subject matter from the general forum. It was also at a time when specific social groups were active and everyone seemed to be going off into their own corner of the forum to discuss their own particular social / geographical area, or equipment.

So scope groups were disbanded and the subject matter came back into the more general, rehashed main forum boards. :)

(So no - you're not going gaga Phil lol )

Edited by brantuk
  • Thanks 1

“Rehashed”! ?

My memory of those days is a little different to yours but I do recall we decided to focus on the community as a whole with open searchable discussion boards rather than separate closed groups. I.e. if someone today wants info on, say, a Telementor then a single search of the forum will return 388 results. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 4

I can see both sides of this coin and was not on here at the time.

Being separated sections does 'silo' discussion, for good and bad.
However separated section are open and inclusive, but with focus.....pun intended.

Being open community does encourage more diverse discussion, it also takes things off initial thread rapidly though.
Clearly it's very 'PC' to be open and inclusive, which I am an advocate.

I like older 'vintage' optics as well as modern kit, it all does the job.
Do I need a place to discuss it, yes
Here at SGL, yes
Separate area, not overly worried on that one myself. But others will be.

• Like 1

Hmm... we have plenty of very focused, long lived, threads for single scopes or even mounts.

Anyone can create a vintage scope thread or threads.

I think the high level of traffic through SGL emphasises the benefit of keeping all topics open to all.

Surely though any 'vintage group' could just be a matter of that group 'self identifying', like the current 'Dob Mob' or the Alt-Az imagers?

I didn't think it was anything to do with "inclusivity" in the modern, trendy, (oft misused) sense of the word. There were groups for all types of scopes, and nothing and no-one was "excluded" - literaly "anyone" could set up a group for "any" type or size of scope. None of the groups were private or "closed" iirc - but one did have to join the group.

But that's where the problem lay - it took the subject matter off into a separate area and away from the main boards reducing it's visibility and availability without some kind of prior knowledge and searching. Fine for established members, but made it unduly inconvenient for newbies, and reducing activity in the general threads.

Like Neil says - the current arrangement " emphasises the benefit of keeping all topics open to all " - and anyone can still start an equipment specific thread, but in a general category board with higher visibility. :)

Edited by brantuk
  • Like 2

Because I access the forum on my phone 99% of the time, all I look at is the list of latest unread posts, doesn't matter which forum they are in. For me that works well because I see a cross section of everything that's going on, and don't feel I have to limit myself by visiting only certain section of interest.

From a point of orderliness on the forum, and knowing where to post stuff, I don't see any reason why we couldnt have a section for it again though, provided it doesn't close informatiom off from general access.

1 hour ago, brantuk said:

None of the groups were private or "closed" iirc - but one did have to join the group.

I think that was the problem - to search for information someone needed to find then join the group that contained it.

I remember it also caused confusion when conversations within groups spilled into the main forum. There were comments and references that only made sense to group members. 

Anyhow, that was years ago and the decision to focus on the community as a whole has turned out nicely. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve said:

also caused confusion when conversations within groups spilled into the main forum

Yup spot on Steve - I remember that too.

Can I ask why there could not, for example, be a sub forum under Equipment called Vintage or suchlike? It seems to me to be no different to having Binoculars there. It wouldn’t require separate membership or cause any other problems.  As I’m sure all of you know, on CloudyNights it’s called Classic Telescopes. 

Just an idea. 

I can recall Astromart (before they started charging for membership !) having sections for different scope types and brands. Cloudynights still has sections for classic instruments and the 3 main different scope designs (cats, newtonians, refractors).

I've been a member here for over 10 years and similarly CN and in the early days Astromart. Personally I'm not convinced that having separate forums for instrument types in the way that CN does and that Astromart used to (it may still ?) leads to a coherant forum. The silo effect does seem to happen.

Just my viewpoint as a long standing participant on forums.