Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

EssexMigrant

What happened to the Vintage group?

I just came back for a peek, and found to my dismay that the fairly active vintage group that there used to be on here, is gone. Shame really. There must be a few people still using old stuff, or just collecting it?

There was and the OP is quite right it was active. It unfortunately went sone years ago when SGL forum had a rehash.

I am struggling to recall one ?

Perhaps it was merged with the Scopes & Whole Setups board during one of the forum updates. 

13 minutes ago, Steve said:

Perhaps it was merged with the Scopes & Whole Setups board during one of the forum updates. 

Looking at EssexMigrant’s posts (back in 2012) they are mostly in the Scopes & Whole Setups board so it appears the board he remembers was merged, not removed. 

HTH

Some relative newcomers here with 'older' scopes. I have a DarkStar Dob from the early 90s and a wee late 60s Tasco.

I've been here 7 years and I don't remember a Vintage forum.

Me neither, but there might have been one ? 

I recall a few years back a discussion around how the forum layout and navigation might be made easier. I remember some related boards were merged. So if there was a Vintage Telescope board I guess it now lives within the Scopes & Whole Setups board. 

It seems only Browndwarf and me remember it, so perhaps both of us share the same dreams? I do think that either way that there should be one; would it be that difficult to create? Any other takers?

There was a Social group called the 'vintage/classic group'. I contributed to this group as I owned a Towa f/15 refractor. Steve is correct this group was merged into the Equipment - Scopes/Whole Set Ups. There is currently a discussion on this topic in the Moderation area.

Ah, perhaps that’s what I remember Mark! That should be reinstated. Why on earth was it merged? It makes no sense at all. 

The Forum changes for many reasons. If you look at the top of the page we introduced a 'Clubs' area a few months back and closed down many Groups and moved them into this new area.  I have raised your comment in the Moderation area for discussion.

1 hour ago, EssexMigrant said:

That should be reinstated. Why on earth was it merged? It makes no sense at all. 

You have returned after a six-year break and during that time I don't think anyone has mentioned it or requested a separate discussion board... 

As always if enough people request and then use a new discussion board then we will create one. So is it necessary or beneficial for discussions of 'vintage' telescopes be pulled from the regular telescope discussion board and given a place of their own? 

Then I apologise for my suggestion. I have to confess to being surprised that nobody else has shown interest, clearly I’m on my own here. I stand quietened. 

No need to apologise for your suggestion, it was only your tone that surprised me ? 

But you might be right. Now you have returned and mentioned it perhaps others will request a new separate discussion board. 

I think the main advantage of a separate section for vintage equipment would be ease of access. Most telescope owners have a level of interest regarding all examples in the past but there might not be enough "traffic" for an individual section. I have a 200 year old 3" refractor, a self built 5" F15 triplet refractor with a 100 year old objective, a vintage C8 and a couple of vintage Astrosystems Newtonians. I'm actually vintage myself so have more than just a vested interest.   ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Perhaps vintage scope enthusiasts prefer to communicate by letter?

What would be a date to qualify as 'vintage'? My Dark Star is only about 25 years old, but is way more primitive than 'modern' dobs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I reckon the Dark Star qualifies, absolutely! Not sure where any cut off should be, perhaps 10 or 15 years?

• Like 1

I would think that at the rate of current technological progress, 25 years might well be appropriate for telescopes. 6 months for a phone.    ?

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Gina said:

I've been here 7 years and I don't remember a Vintage forum.

I set it up in the communities section, it was well received and active  but then the SGL was rehashed and a lot of the communities were merged.

Edited by philj
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EssexMigrant said:

It seems only Browndwarf and me remember it, so perhaps both of us share the same dreams? I do think that either way that there should be one; would it be that difficult to create? Any other takers?

Err no ,I set it up and semi moderated it

Edited by philj
  • Like 1

Can I request folks who havent been on SGL for at least 5 years please stop saying the vintage section didnt exist. Its making me question reality and my memory. Im starting to think I imagined it now ?

I certainly don't remember SGL being rehashed, although obviously it has undergone various changes and software updates over the years.

I've been here around 8 years and unfortunately don't recall the Vintage section so perhaps it could have used a better position or profile.

I'm sure if there is sufficient demand a way will be found to reinstate it. I think perhaps my Genesis and GP-DX with Skysensor 2000PC may just qualify?

Web Archive .org has a copy of the 'Classic & Vintage Scopes' group . Posted a link below, to alay any fears of reality or memory episodes for PhilJ ;D

http://web.archive.org/web/20111118175739/http://stargazerslounge.com/group.php?cat=1

Cheers, Andy

Edited by AndyH
Woops, wrong link, now fixed, I hope.
  • Like 3