SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mild Red Green Color Blindness and H alpha observing

Starr15

I was considering purchasing a 60mm double stack solar telescope, but was wondering if  my mild red green color blindness would hamper visual observing at the H alpha 656nm wavelength. Anyone have any insight into this question?

BTW, red green color blindness has variable severity. RG color blind people can often see many shades of red and green , but others they cannot perceive. 

I see 21 here, not 74.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#/media/File%3AIshihara_9.png

and “flunk” these color blots.

http://ishiharatest.blogspot.com/

Depends on the cause, loss/or abnormal red or green comes... having no redmcones would reduce your red visibility. I know a chap who is red blind and can’t see red laser pointers at presentations, so you might have a problem. Best to find a club with one and have a quick look, then you could be certain. If you are green come blink then you’ll be fine.

all the best

Peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/11/2018 at 15:17, Starr15 said:

I was considering purchasing a 60mm double stack solar telescope, but was wondering if  my mild red green color blindness would hamper visual observing at the H alpha 656nm wavelength. Anyone have any insight into this question?

BTW, red green color blindness has variable severity. RG color blind people can often see many shades of red and green , but others they cannot perceive. 

I see 21 here, not 74.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness#/media/File%3AIshihara_9.png

LOL!

I can see the 1 AND the 4 overlayed, I can see a mix of 2 and 7 at the top but barely any of the bottom of the 2.

When I was tested at school I was told 'you have the mildest case of colour blindness I've ever seen'.

I describe it as looking at a hillside that grades from brown bracken up to green grass - I see the boundary in a different place.

A few weeks ago my daughter told me my brown check shirt was green... I also struggle with army uniforms that hover between brown and green ('olive drab').

It's very confusing as I have no problem with things people class as green or red, I presume I have a weak form of ' Deuteranomaly'

3 hours ago, m1dlj said:

Hi folks,

Is there any evidence for the suggestion that colour blindness helps one see through camouflage?

Ray

That's how the tests work. One number is defined by different colours, the other by different tones. If you don't see the colour difference you can see tone (brightness) differences that are swamped by the colour information.

So without the colour information it's likely you would be more likely to notice any tone mismatch between the camouflaged object and its background.

I think this is why 'disruptive' camo has become more popular, breaking up outlines so you even if you see the object you don't register it as it deoesn't fit the 'template' you are looking for.

Archived